• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help identify crane

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Looks like an early model of the hemtt crane Spicergear put on his truck. Didn't you bring that back for him?

SPCWarning

M757A1 (Trailer)

Did a little surfing and came up with this. The trailer it's mounted on appears to be a Martin Marietta M757A1 Erector/Launcher for the Pershing A1. I know this isn't the crane description, but it's a step closer. Hope this helps. There's a record of it somewhere, just gotta keep diggin!
Jimmy

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did a little surfing and came up with this. The trailer it's mounted on appears to be a Martin Marietta M757A1 Erector/Launcher for the Pershing A1. I know this isn't the crane description, but it's a step closer. Hope this helps. There's a record of it somewhere, just gotta keep diggin!
Jimmy
Thanks for you effort Jimmy, the 8x8 is actually the Ford xm757 and the EL (erector/launcher) the m790. You can see the crane or davit at the front of the trailer. All Pershing launchers were destroyed as part of an agreement with the USSR between 1985 and 1990 or so. The trucks were not touched, perhaps there are some cranes still around...

In accordance with INF Treaty provisions all of the U.S. Army's tactical PERSHING II missile stages, launchers, trainers, and deployed reentry vehicles had to be eliminated by May 31, 1991. A total of 234 PERSHING II missiles were covered by the treaty. Army contractors completed the destruction of the last PERSHING II in May 1991.

Attachments

SPCWarning

Thanks for you effort Jimmy, the 8x8 is actually the Ford xm757 and the EL (erector/launcher) the m790. You can see the crane or davit at the front of the trailer. All Pershing launchers were destroyed as part of an agreement with the USSR between 1985 and 1990 or so. The trucks were not touched, perhaps there are some cranes still around...

In accordance with INF Treaty provisions all of the U.S. Army's tactical PERSHING II missile stages, launchers, trainers, and deployed reentry vehicles had to be eliminated by May 31, 1991. A total of 234 PERSHING II missiles were covered by the treaty. Army contractors completed the destruction of the last PERSHING II in May 1991.
Thanks for straightening me out on that. I was like a blue-tick on a coon's trail on that one. I realized I was wrong about the 757 about a minute after I posted (false info from a website, imagine that). Well I'm still huntin' and I'll do more research before I make a donkey of myself again.:cookoo:

spicergear

The way it has the single extension on the mast with a long cylinder to push it may lend me to think it was a special military only Hiab unit. It doesn't look like any Grove I've seen and I doubt we would have used an offshore brand. I saw a small Hiab for sale recently that was basically pedistal mounted like that.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The way it has the single extension on the mast with a long cylinder to push it may lend me to think it was a special military only Hiab unit. It doesn't look like any Grove I've seen and I doubt we would have used an offshore brand. I saw a small Hiab for sale recently that was basically pedistal mounted like that.
HIAB is actually Swedish and I don't think this is a HIAB crane, since it's not a "knuckle" boom.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks