• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help Identifying Alternator

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can you rebuild one off an old Chevy truck to 24VDC?

We can sit around all day bashing China but that isn't going to get Steve's truck back on the road. I still suggest biting the bullet and getting the one George recommends that do fit the bracket.

welldigger

Since I have the front end of my truck taken apart I was able to get some better pictures of the alternater and the pulley alignment and fan clearance.uploadfromtaptalk1402864157227.jpguploadfromtaptalk1402864176870.jpg

SteveKuhn

Steve's truck was back on the road as of 10:20 this a.m. - Just in time to make it (a bit late and a bit dirty) to Wings 'n Wheels at Teterboro Airport! Great show (esp the Corsair). Missed yesterday's Kiwanis Touch A Truck, but learned a lot.

Lots of thanks to everyone who contributed. I did change the pulley because I couldn't find a shop to machine the one I got from Kenny Kublo and as a result did a little ad libbing on the install. Nevertheless, it works and charges on the tick at 1K RPM. Got some photos and ideas I'll pass along if there's interest.

As a downpayment, here's my buddy Jack after he one Best Military Vehicle posing with The Victory Belles. No trophy in this one, but it's the best of the girls. You'll forgive me for the choice.

Steve

Attachments

texas30cal

It's been a few years since my time in the alternator shop but I think we did some of the old style Chevy one wires in 24v, I will have to ask. Did it end up being a 21 or 27 si alternator? That part of the thread was confusing.