• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help Identifying Hubs to determine parts needed

Flank

I'm an infrequent lurker with a 1953 Dunbar M101 that I bought off a friend several years back. It has been a great workhorse and roller for many years, not I think it is time to give it some love and rebuild some parts. The trailer has been hacked upon prior to my aquisition - brakes removed, lunette assembly hacked off and replaced with a bad hitch job, had ndt 9.00-16 tires dating from the 60s that ran for a while then flew apart so I replaced them with some 9.00-16 Michelin XLs. It was a complete pain in the butt finding radial tire tubes and flaps for the 16" split rims, and now used 9.00-16 tires are becoming very scarce inexpensively so I also want to plan ahead.

From what I understand, the original hub is a 5 lug. It appears that mine have been swapped for a sixer, is this compatible with easier to find 9.00x20 wheels or a corresponding non split ring 16 inch wheel? Can you help me identify which vehicle these hubs / wheels may have come from?

I am (for right now) looking to open up and repack the bearings and will need the seals for these hubs, and bearings if they explode on me. The hubs are a tad loose, but always run cool over long distances. Also, I'm looking for a replacement for the bump stops pictured. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!IMG_2875.jpgIMG_2873.jpgIMG_2879.jpgIMG_2877.jpg

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The bolt pattern looks to be the one shared with the M715. 6 lug 7.25" bolt circle. It really looks like the hubs are from a truck to me. Maddawg308 was parting out an M101 with the original axle if interested. That one would be 5 lug. Unless you plan on towing this with the M37 or M715, I would look towards the M101A2 for the more common bolt pattern and tubeless tires. The expedition folks sometimes scrap the axles in favor of one with a common bolt pattern.

Flank

At this point, not looking to swap hubs or even replace the wheels yet, more concerned with finding parts for these hubs to be able to open them up, get them lubed, and get them back on securely. Wheel / tire changes may come later.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If it is a 715 hub, there should be screws holding the drum on the hub between the wheel studs(if I remember correctly).