• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

help in alabama need to barrow a tow bar

jeremyfc1

looking to get two trucks from an auction an m35a2 and an m818 5 ton want to tow the inopp 5 ton withn the deuce. is this a bad idea? is there a tow bar in the area i can use or what should i do?

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If both trucks are coming from GL, YES- BAD IDEA! A truck that you have owned and know the service history on, might be ok, but not some random truck.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The 5 ton outweighs the deuce by a few thousand pounds.

It is not a good idea to flat tow a heavy vehicle with a lighter one.

You can hook airlines to a 5 ton from a deuce for braking purposes (assuming the brakes on the 5 ton work) but it would still be hinky.

I would try to find a step deck that is looking for a backhaul from where your trucks are located.

Westech

CPL
I have towed a 5 ton with my deuce before..... you can do it BUT.. you will want 5k pound of weight in the bed..... and its going to be a SLOW ride. 45 TOPS... you will never get in 5th gear.

sandcobra164

I'll agree with Westech on the added ballast in the bed. I've done (2) 800 series 5 ton recoveries in the same week and they can be interesting to tow. You will be going very slow and you'll learn to appreciate the sychronized transfer case quite a bit on restarts. Do not attempt without the intervehicular air hoses, a Deuce is slow to stop on it's own and very slow to stop if it has 20,000 pounds pushing on it. I've done it that way once and never will again. Also, do not tie the steering wheel off on the 5 ton. When you make a sharp turn, it'll push the Deuce back end out from under it, you'll jack knife and then you get to learn if your front axle air shift works. Personally, I'll never tow one again with my Deuce but I had over obligated myself and I stand by my word if I say that I'll do the job. Both times, I made it safely to my front yard but once again, I'll never tow a 20,000# truck with a 13,000# truck ever again. Heck, the math doesn't even add up right. If you're driving on a standard Class C license, you're roughly 7,000 pounds overweight. I do have a towbar and airlines relatively close by but I wouldn't lend it to you with those intentions. All the best, I hope you have them recovered by a professional. PCTrans and Travisxj89 are some Florida boys who may be able to help.

jeremyfc1

thanks for the heads up guys. i was wondering about the weight. even tho id only be goign ~ 100 miles i was worried. i guess ill just get the deuce and leave the 5 tons for someone else. wow there i go counting chickens b4 they hatch. i appreciate the words of wisdom as i only know soo much about these trucks.