• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help installing alternators m1009

toomuchjosh

@Warthog, I grew up/live near the Dallas-Ft Worth area. I love it here! Whats it like in OK City?

I'm going to go take those pictures.

toomuchjosh

@Warthog, my wiring is consistent with the labeled wires in the two pictures you posted.

Also I checked my bottom fuse on the fuse box and it appears to be fine, although I did check the voltage with a batter tester(basically an analog volt meter) and it reads about 12volts.

I PM'ed you the pictures of my wiring issues.

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It apperas your truck has been converted to 12v and the wiring butchered.

We need to figure out what has been changed before you hook something up and start burning up whats left of your wiring

toomuchjosh

1 item to note, the engine would not start until 2 batteries were hooked up in series. That gave me the impression that the starter motor is still 24volt.

toomuchjosh

UPDATE - Jul 29 Morning

1, I traced 3 more wires that were aftermarket and removed them. They controlled equipment that no longer is installed in the vehicle.

2, The Police Dept installed a 7 pin trailer light hookup. This could explain the fuse box wiring.

3, the headlight 30 amp fuse socket is melted, but the headlights still work.

4, I troubleshooted the GEN2 (passenger alternator) as per the -20 TM. I am going to have Autozone test the alternator today. If the alt checks out, I will look into re-wiring GEN2.

Please see attached pictures.

Attachments

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The push button you removed was thier attempt at a manual glowplug switch.

The headlights may be using the additional fuse that is on the right side of the box.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also I checked my bottom fuse on the fuse box and it appears to be fine, although I did check the voltage with a batter tester(basically an analog volt meter) and it reads about 12volts.
The bottom fuse should be reading 24v. That is why I said your truck may have been converted to 12v.

Where is the "extra" red wire under the dash going too?

The feed fron the rear battery negative terminal "neededs" to have some type of protection in it. It appears the fusable link has been removed. Need puitures to be sure.

Terracoma

UPDATE - Jul 29 Morning

2, The Police Dept installed a 7 pin trailer light hookup. This could explain the fuse box wiring.

Please see attached pictures.

Photo shows what looks like a 6-pin socket? Judging by the gauge of the blue wire in your photo that you've traced, that's probably the "auxiliary" wire that goes to the center pin. The auxiliary pin provides 12v power for stuff like dome lights and other accessories on the trailer itself.

This wire should be separate from the truck's original wiring.

toomuchjosh

Please see pictures for comments.

1 Picture shows the battery area with the rear battery neg lead, with now fusible link that I could detect. (It does have a large black sleeve on it)

The 2 other pictures show the "extra" red wire under the dash.

EDIT: I had the alternator tested, and it failed with a voltage of 11.57. Is this really a bad alternator, or are they just trying to sell me a new one?

Attachments

Last edited:

toomuchjosh

UPDATE July 30 Morning

Well I ended up moving my 1 good alternator to the passenger side. I purchased a new alternator from Autozone, DL7157, and installed it on the driver's side.

I used my digital volt meter to test the voltage at the 24v terminal near the batteries.
1st reading was 24.8Volts,
Started up the engine, 2nd reading was 25.8volts,
turned off the engine, 3rd reading was 25.2volts.

This means the alternators are charging the batteries, Correct???

Also, I tested the leads going into the in-dash voltmeter (which is not working) and it read 25.8volts while the vehicle was running.

toomuchjosh

UPDATE Aug 7

Installed a 12 Gauge fusible link for the 12volt battery cable that goes to the 12volt terminal on the drivers side of the firewall.

CycleJay

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the information and photos in this thread.
Since I am now having alternator issues with my '85 M1009,
all of this may help me solve my problems, especially the Alternator photo,
that shows each connection labelled on the back side.

Happy Thanksgiving, God bless all of you,

CJ