• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help!!! Is this serious??

I believe that I have a crack on my engine at the bolt that attaches to the bracket under alt 2. I believe it holds the water pump and that bracket. I runs front to back. Is this repairable. Is it just a casting mark? I really think it is cracked. What should I do?

Barrman

A picture would be a big help.

Working from memory. Isn't the bottom bolt for the passenger side alternator a real long one with a sleeve? Is the crack at the head, at the bracket, on the sleeve? Is anything leaking from it?

The crack is at the bolt, right behind the water pump.. I have always had a very slight leak there, nothing serious. the leak appears to be the seal, in front of the crack.

89m1007

It looks like a crack in the timing cover to. You can find a replacement timing cover on eBay cheap. And I would also replace the water pump and the harmonic damper at the same time

coyote_hunter

Looks like a crack in the block. The only thing that should leak in that area would be water. I don't think the water will be able to mix with the oil from that crack. You should be fine, if the leak gets worse you could have someone braze it, or you could just try JB weld. I once had a hole in the case of a turbo 350, I cleaned the area really well and put some JB weld on it and didn't have anymore trouble.

PaulbusMax

A casting mark may have a slightly raised edge or "flashing" . Should it be a crack, I tend to agree with the "JB" weld or similar repair for this type of situation, as i have had excellent results in the past with things like this.

Mohawk Dave

I just picked up a HMMWV motor a couple hours ago, a 6.2, and it has those on each side as well. I thought they were cracks at first also, then after messing with them I thought a flashing, but after seeing your exact situation, I beleive they are just flashings.

Can anyone confirm this?

-Dave

Last edited:
Thanks!!! You people have been so helpful. I will post some before/ after pics of my build shortly. I plan on rebuilding my gen2 today, so I will get a closer look. Results to follow. [thumbzup]

A can of carb cleaner and one wire brush later, I discovered that my "cracks" look exactly the same as Mohawk Daves. That being said, I am leaning toward these being flashings. Either that, or they both cracked in exactly the same manner in the exact same place, which seems improbable.

swampzr2

Big Cracks, you are all Fawked!!! Don't worry I will buy them blazers for $100.

I just picked up a HMMWV motor a couple hours ago, a 6.2, and it has those on each side as well. I thought they were cracks at first also, then after messing with them I thought a flashing, but after seeing your exact situation, I beleive they are just flashings.

Can anyone confirm this?

-Dave