• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help, lost Brakes today.

tklm539

Hello all,

Its been a while, I have been putting my deuce to a lot of work this summer. Bomb loader has been a great addition for moving rocks and logs out of the woods. Today, about 35 miles from home, I lost all brake pressure. I was able to gear down and limp to a salvage yard nearby that had a garage. As it turns out the owner formerly had two m35 gassers from the Air Force. His first remark was that my master cylinder was dry. He loaned me a set of tools and after some messing around, the cap came off and sure enough dry as a bone.

Only DOT3 was available. I figured that it could not be too bad and I had to get the truck home. The brakes seem to work better than they have since I got the truck in the spring. Now for the question. How bad have I messed things up? Is DOT3 ok in a pinch though not spec. or have I just created a chemical nightmare in my brake lines.

Thanks in advance and have a relaxing labor day.

Tom

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Decide what fluid you want to use and do a thorough (very thorough) flush with that fluid and you should be fine. Also add checking brake fluid level to your pretrip inspections.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Make sure to flush it good-someone was saying here the other day that when the mil did the swap from DOT3 to DOT5, they issued a bulletin or an artivle in PM mag about proper flush technique-do a search, it is pretty recent.

Find out where it's going and bleed it good-Kenny can help you with bleeding ops.

tklm539

Thanks,

No luck yet finding the article. I did find Kenny's homemade bleeder post.

Is it possible to simply open the lines at the wheels and press the fluid out with brake pressure. Obviously adding dot3 along the way to keep the mc under pressure.

Thanks

Tom

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
The military emphasized a thorough flush because any DOT 3 in the system negated the "benefit" of DOT5 (anti-moisture absorbtion). ALL the tests done by the military on silicone brake fluid indicated that there was no problem from mixing DOT3 and DOT5 other than the mixture would absorb moisture, just as DOT3 does.

I had a notable chemical lab perform a number of tests on DOT5 and DOT3 and the mix a few years ago - and they verified the goverment report - all of this info is included in an article I did on brake fluid a few years ago. However, I have talked to people who say in their experience the two products do not mix well (I don't think this was in MVs). What the cause of this is (contamination, or system specific components) I do not know.

HTH,
David Doyle

nattieleather

You need to find out why you had no brake fluid.....I think that is the bigger problem than which fluid you have. I'm thinking you might have a small leak and over time and use you've bled the system dry. Time to take a good look at your brakes and fix any problems.

Then once you've got the system fixed flush it and refill with the fluid of choice. I have seen silicone DOT 5 get jelly like when mixed with DOT 3....Might be because of the different manufactures who knows, but I've seen it.

Rattlehead

While you are fixing your leak(s), be sure to check all your flexible brake lines for signs of cracking, etc. There are 4 total (2 for the front axle). They are cheap, and one of them letting go with no warning will put you in the same situation.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Excellent point Rattlehead but don't forget that 5th line running from the frame under the engine to the front axle.

Rattlehead

Oops! Its been about 4 years since I went through my brakes, should know better than to try and go off memory when I barely remember what I had for dinner yesterday! :lol:

You should always carry a quart of extra brake fluid for just such cases. And always carry the basics of tools in the tool bag. Such as a slotted and phillips screw driver, adjustable wrench (cresent), pliers, and a tool roll of combination wrenches. Even the harbor freight type tools are a blessing when you have nothing.

John

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
right, people who are not going to inspect, repair and have safe brakes should add a 1 gallon remote res. at least it will take longer to leak out..............

houdel

Here is the brake bleed process from the TB for converting from DOT-3 to DOT-5. You are doing the just the opposite but the process is the same. Pay particular attention to the note about the sequence of bleeding - Master cylinder first (if it has a bleed screw), then air-hydraulic unit, then wheel cylinders, starting with the one FURTHEST from the master cylinder, then the next furthest etc.

It is important to bleed the wheel cylinders furthest first and closest last. This does the best job of removing air and contaminants from the brake lines and reduces the possibility of cross recontamination.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks