• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help, lost Brakes today.

tjcouch

Here is a problem that I did not find described before - my apologies if I missed it.

The story so far:

Brakes were dragging, so I rebuilt air pack.

Then the brakes would go soft after awhile, replaced MC.

All was good for some time, but recently they started going soft again. I had enough braking power for ranch land use, but not on the road.

So this evening I decided to start with the simplest thing and bled the brakes. I also installed an extra reservoir in the cab like I have seen some of you do.

After bleeding I had great pedal pressure, the airpack was making a nice whooshing sound, but the brakes will hardly actuate. It is much worse now.

Any ideas?

tjcouch

One additional detail: I bled the brakes with a vacuum bleeder for the first time (in the past I used a friend with big legs or the home-made pump sprayer method.) Not sure if that matters.

tjcouch

OK - now I am even more confused. The truck would seem to have fixed itself overnight . . . magical elves, I guess. When I went out for round two this evening everything worked great.

Very odd . . . . . my best guess is that something in the boost pack was sticking, but I would love any insight from you more experienced guys.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I had a panic stop in my 98 Suburban and soon after had a spongey pedal. I got it home and crawled under it and found a small pin hole had been produced in a rusted area of brakeline I lost a lot of fluid out of that hole and had to replace the entire nine foot section of brakeline.

Funny thing is I didn't want to mess with bleeding it so I took it to Pep boys. I told them of the empty new line and that it would require extra bleeding time. After walking around the store about 50 times I went to check on it and they had given up not knowing what to do. I told them let it down a little and I got my vacume pump brake bleeder out of the back and did it myself. The manager wanted to give me a job right there, I told him sorry the Army has other things in mind.

dmetalmiki

Silicone is NOT fixotropic! (absorbs moisture)..used in "things Military" BECAUSE they often stand for yonks! (ours do? between shows? and so stops the accumalation of water (and rust forming!) in the bottoms of cylinders. Dot fluids are tropc and in regular use get hot therefore tending to vaporate moisture in use. agree with other posts. (if not for cost allone!) all mine are converted to dot 4. flushed absalutely.. and sreviced regularly. silcone and dots can and DO form a gell (because OLD dots bieng f.t. try to mix thier moisture with silicone!!..A.NO NO!! K>

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks