• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HELP! m211 wont shift out of 1st

dsistare

so i bought a m211 the guy had just used it around his house to move wood so he had neaver really gone to quick with it. i attempted to drive the truck home and i cant get it to **** out of 1st gear in either f1 or f2 in high or low range. it had plenty of fluid and the linkage looks good. any ideas on whats wrong with it??

AMGeneral

Most likely the governer weights are cruddy and stuck in place or the control valve is the same,cruddy and not able to work properly.

Bu,as with all Hydramatics,check the trans pressure first,the procedure is covered in the TM which has been uploaded here.

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also, look very closely at the throttle valve linkage. It goes from the cross shaft at the intake manifold. If the torsion spring has broken the transmission will default to first and ONLY shift at governor RPM. As AMG says, Governor weights will also stick one in low.

Gunfreak25

TM means Technical Manual. The TM's are found at the top of the page under the "Resources" section. It's best to right click on the manual you want to open then click "save as" instead of viewing them online...which never seems to work for me or anybody else.

Gunfreak25

I do have all 6 parts downloaded, completely forgot too! Let me know what you need and I can send the section to you via email.

Gunfreak25

Well I looked through all 6 parts and could not find anything on adjusting the Hydramatic. Any info I have on this is in my original paper back 600 page manual and it's not much help over the internet without the diagrams to show which parts are which. As Mr.John Wayne said above, check the governor. Seems to be a common problem and is high on the list of probabilities in the book.

artica5105

I don't know if I can/should post a full link to another site that has them, so try this. Google "M211 Power Train (Part 1 of 6)" quotes included. The first response back shoud be a site ending in ca/m135.htm. Pick it.

I would go first for TM9-8024pt1, as it has a more involved troubleshooting section. Page 163 on. Too much to post here or I would.

TM 9-8025-2 If he plans on doing a full transmission rebuild. Not much help for diagnosis, other than for pressure readings.

Last edited:

USMC 00-08

I downloaded all of the TM's for G749's that were available before the old site went down. Including TM 9-8025-2 which I think is what he needs. It is 45mb and I cant send it in an e-mail since it is so large. How can I get it to him?