• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HELP M818 down

Blythewoodjoe

Well as fate would have it, my EUC for my trailer cleared Friday, so I took the M818 out for good test run this morning. About an hour round trip. Half way through the trip I was getting back on the interstate and noticed in 4th gear it was loosing power. This lasted about 10 seconds and then back to normal. I knew this was not good.

I exited the interstate about 10 minutes later near my home. Same thing happened in 5th gear. Very noticeable now. Wouldn't get over 40 MPH. A couple of miles later I'm crawling. The throttle has little control over the engine. When I push the clutch in the engine rev's and very slowly idles down. It also take a few seconds for any increase in engine speed when I press the pedal. It cuts off several times, once in a turn, no steering. That was alarming. I managed to get it home, but it obviously is not going any where.

So, what do you guys think? Fuel flow problems or pump problems? I have had the truck a short while and I have not changed the fuel filters yet. Also this truck doesn't crank with great ease. It only takes a few seconds, but nothing like my M813. It also idles up and down while idling. The M813 used to do that before I found and fixed a negative pressure fuel leak.

Help!

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Joe,
Sounds like you either have a clogged filter/line, or your IP is needing a rebuild. When were you planning to pick up your trailer? I could ride down there with you and we can use my m818 if you can't get yours up. I would try the filter first, then check the lines. Maybe blow back from the filter with air. The tanks might have some algae, might have clogged a line and or the filter.

If you want, I can come over this afternoon and we can look at it.

Armada

:ditto: The filters would be my first check, especially since you don't know how long they've been installed. And check for leaks also. Good luck!

jasonjc

I found a bad/leaking hose on mine at the valve under the cab. I also found that the pick up tube in the tank is steel and had rust holes in it.

Blythewoodjoe

DUMMY ALERT!!!

Well I spoke with Adam earlier today and found out a few things about the M818. First off, the fuel "switch" on the dash only controls the gauge. I ASSUMED it controlled which tank you pulled fuel from. Of course I wondered why there was a switch on the floor, but,,,,,,

Anyway when I was talking with Adam and discovered the switch on the floor controlled the fuel flow, I thought about how I thought I was pulling from the full drivers side tank and not from the almost empty passengers tank. Long story short I went out and looked and sure enough the floor switch was on the passengers tank and the dash switch was on the drivers tank. I measured the fuel in the P-tank and it was about 1/2". I switched to the D-tank, cranked the engine for a minute or so and shazzam the truck runs again.auaauaauaauaaua

I'm still going to change the filters. How do I delete this entire thread?
auaauaauaaua

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We'll leave this thread up for others to learn from. Thanks for contributing Joe. At least you got it figured out before Will Wagner came along. I save all Cummins questions for him.

powerhouseduece

DUMMY ALERT!!!

Well I spoke with Adam earlier today and found out a few things about the M818. First off, the fuel "switch" on the dash only controls the gauge. I ASSUMED it controlled which tank you pulled fuel from. Of course I wondered why there was a switch on the floor, but,,,,,,

Anyway when I was talking with Adam and discovered the switch on the floor controlled the fuel flow, I thought about how I thought I was pulling from the full drivers side tank and not from the almost empty passengers tank. Long story short I went out and looked and sure enough the floor switch was on the passengers tank and the dash switch was on the drivers tank. I measured the fuel in the P-tank and it was about 1/2". I switched to the D-tank, cranked the engine for a minute or so and shazzam the truck runs again.auaauaauaauaaua

I'm still going to change the filters. How do I delete this entire thread?
auaauaauaaua

Don't delete it! Your not the first to do this, I did it too!

crasheej

One the things you will want to check sooer or later is the hoses on that tank switch valve . They do dry rot. Then you will suck air. I know been there done that. TMs don't say any thing about them.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ah, yes, the dreaded selector (spider...lets cause a whole bunch of problems) valve. Mine is either in a land fill or being melted down to make something more USEFUL.

Sorry...just my 2cents.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Been there, done that.

I even pumped fuel from the full tank into the empty tank when I thought the dash switch was broke. :oops:

At least you know how low you can go in that tank, I'm afraid to drop below 1/2. :D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks