• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help - M915A1 - Indiana to NY

jdmep

Future transport of a M915A1 - Indiana to NY

seems strange so many people buy these trucks and dont have a plan to get them home.i hope it works out for them .

Plan 'A' my brother-in-law lives 1 hour from indianapolis. His neighbor has a truck and trailer and will bring it to his house when my EUC clears....when i get time, go to indiana, i will make sure truck can drive home and spend the 800 in fuel,

?50/50 chance it makes it? if it does not then i am stuck paying a tow bill....

Plan B - hire an equipement mover 3000 - 3500 i have been qouted so far....

chance of breaking down??? slim to none.

Plan C - there is a railyard 4 miles from current GL location - Union Stockyards 1598 Dover St Indianapolis IN 46241 - Hire CSX to transport tractor to NY, cost unknown at this time? i have put in a request with CSX for a qoute and will post results - chance of breaking down? - slim to none.

Thanks DanL and everyone else for the help and advice so far....

I dont have a definate plan at the moment. I have options, and while i wait for EUC, I am wondering what others here have to say about alternatives other than paying 3000 or driving and risking breaking down? The drive is not bad 13 hrs.

My neighbor is a foreman for CSX and unfortunately he just repairs tracks, never dealt with shipping, so he recomended using the CSX website for a qoute, currently still waiting for a response....

Has anyone any information on:
Union Stockyards
1598 Dover St Indianapolis IN

From googles satelite images, it does not seem as big as the railyards that we have here in upstate ny? Are they even operational?

Last edited:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Funny, we were just talking about shipping a truck via rail and the general consensus was that it would be one big pain in the arse. After talking to JP and Ferro unless you put it inside an enclosed car you won't end up with much at the end of the trip.

There are people close by that can look the truck over in the Indy area and make sure it is ready to go. Have it gone through there and drive it. Don't just walk up and drive it home.

The safest way is to ship it via truck. If you do decide to drive it I can lend assistance from Indy to Columbus along I70.

davey8943

JDMEP,

I spent some time looking for :

1598 Dover Street
Indianapolis IN 46241

and came up empty.... There is a DRover street in zip 46241, but there doesn't appear to be commercial access to the rail there.

I am south of Indianapolis, ~50 miles away from Stout Field. You mentioned in another thread you had some help about an hour away from Stout... any chance they are my direction?

I have a little room to store the truck if you get into a pickle, and may be able to help pickup if my schedule works out.

Shoot me a PM if you have any questions!

Dave

Augdog1964

Help

Be glad to offer help in any way... I can help pickup, store at my location, etc. if needed...

I can tell you definitively, that shipping by rail is a waste of time, resources and money. We have tried to ship tanks by rail 2x, and it was more expensive than truck, and a colossal hassle. I would not waste my time.

If you are driving it, you MUST have assistance, tools, and a chase truck if you want it to be hassle free, or an easy fix if something happens.

Let me know what I can do if needed. I personally inspected all the 915s and took copious notes on them...

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please do not use HELP in thread titles, unless you are broke-down on the road. Do you ask a waiter/waitress, if they have any food because your hungry? No, because that's why you go to a restaurant.

We know everyone posts in forums because they need help.

Last edited:

jdmep

I have received a reply from CSX, and it read as follows:

Thank you for contacting CSXT for your transportation needs. We are capable of transporting multiple tractors however, based on the description provided below, we would not be able to transport just one tractor on a railcar. Please contact a heavy hauler trucking company that provides the services you are requesting.

Unfortunately 'Rail' is not an option, for just one tractor?

Danl

Danl M915A1

Have a steel soldiers check out the truck , If its road ready, and these 915 are pretty much, if it checks out talk to your insurer insure one way cheap money, go to the DMV buy a transit plate 18 bucks , you will have to show them the insure paper and go to in and drive it home

jdmep

Thanks for all the help, and suggestions!
I ended up hiring BearBoley to pick-up and ship it home on his step deck trailer. With the Help of B. Rainville, loading out at Indy.
All went well and I couldn't have asked for two better Guy's to deal with.
Thanks Again!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks