• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help me decode my 5 ton

bricksrkids

My bumpers no longer have any markings and they have been totally striped and repainted during the 2010 rebuild. I would like to add the proper lettering, but I have no idea what it should say.

Do you know what numbers would look proper on my bumper and rear bed?

Here's some picture of what I have on my dash.

My id# is 23/07832
nsn: 2320-01-230-0307
Delivery date: 08/92
model: BMY HARSCO M923a2

Thanks

Attachments

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The NL # is part of my vin # on my AM General.
The driver side front number and rear bumper on mine reads FLA NG
The passage side is the company #
The NL # is only on inside of both doors and dash.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
:tigger:

Be aware that putting bumper numbers from an active duty unit on a surplus military vehicle MIGHT get you in dutch with the powers that be.

That being said my M927A2 still has the bumper numbers from the unit it was surplussed out of and I have taken it on several military installations and never had anyone say anything. But....and there is always a but.....you never know when you are going to run into a Barney Fife type that has too much time on his hands.

Your mileage may vary.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I get stencils, I'm going to put the bumper numbers of the deuce my dad used to drive when he was in the reserves. My mom found an old picture of him staying next to the truck. I'd put the numbers on my truck and not think twice. Heck, here in Michigan you don't even need to display a plate if it's a historical military vehicle. I don't think anybody would even care. Most people don't even know what the numbers are.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Honestly, I don't even know how to decipher the numbers as to what ones go where on the bumper. I'll just copy my dad's truck with pride :)

bricksrkids

Be aware that putting bumper numbers from an active duty unit on a surplus military vehicle MIGHT get you in dutch with the powers that be.

That being said my M927A2 still has the bumper numbers from the unit it was surplussed out of and I have taken it on several military installations and never had anyone say anything. But....and there is always a but.....you never know when you are going to run into a Barney Fife type that has too much time on his hands.

Your mileage may vary.
Thank you. So maybe adding bumper numbers is not a good idea.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Your mileage may vary.
Almost all my vehicles came straight out of the bases with markings intact. I don't see that as an issue.

nchittendon

I was surprised at what I learned just by putting all of my data plate numbers into google. Then I was confused and had Cranac do his thing to set me straight. Google is your friend.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur

Almost all my vehicles came straight out of the bases with markings intact. I don't see that as an issue.

Very few do make it out. One of the requirements of turn is is that the bumper numbers and other specific unit ID numbers be painted over or ground off.

That being said I have owned two M915's that escaped with numbers intact. In the case of my M927 a little brake cleaner and the black paint that had been sprayed over the numbers came right off the CARC.

I'm not saying that there are official types out there waiting to pounce on you. What I'm saying is that having numbers on a privately owned vehicle that are similar to the numbers on an active duty unit's vehicles might be seen as an attempt to pass your vehicle off as an official military vehicle. This is especially true now that some vehicle series (M900 and FMTV) that are being surplussed out are still in active units.

Most military installations now require anyone that is not an ID holder to get a visitors pass at the gate. They may or may not inspect your vehicle when you enter but they have the right to do so. There are also varying levels of security depending on the nature of the base. I have been to bases to load out or inspect that required me to submit to a background check several days prior to entering. Rolling up to one of those bases in a military vehicle is going to get you looked at very hard while they determine exactly what you are there for and if your paperwork is in order.

If the unit you wish to honor is no longer on the active rolls you are fine. You can check through various sites such as this one: http://www.armorama.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=113

If the vehicle is so old that there is no way it could be mistaken for an active vehicle then you are probably fine since it will probably not be painted in todays paint scheme anyway. No one is going to mistake an olive drab M37 for an active duty vehicle. A M923 with desert sand or three color camo is a different story and if you are mistaken for an active duty truck and enter a restricted zone you may be in for some interesting interactions with the powers that be.

I once had a young Second Lt. give me the devil for pumping fuel at the post gas station (not the military vehicle fuel point) into one of my deuces at the local National Guard base. When I showed him my tag and insurance form he calmed down but you get the point.

Honoring someone or some unit is a noble endeavor but brings with it some sense of responsibility.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Your mileage may vary.

That would be funny. My M813 bumper says USN and CV-63 for the USS Kitty Hawk. Good luck with that one Barney. :)

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I went to Ft Gordon to pick my generator up. I was driving my 1970 deuce and the gate personal was going to wave me through but I stopped and informed them it was not active duty truck.