• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HELP ME FIND VIN ON XM818 5-ton

Autocar

I picked up my XM818 with Cummins last week. I am looking for the VIN #. I know it is supposed to be on the drivers side frame at the front wheel next to the shock mount, but I can not find it no matter how closely I look. Can someone post a photo of a VIN number on an 800 series truck so I can see exactly where it should be and what it should look like. Thanks

Autocar

Thank you very much for the help, however it brings up another question. Is the VIN # the entire number shown as the "IDENTIFICATION NO." on the dash data tag or just the last part of the ID # such as C124 etc. as shown above on Warthogs truck?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you very much for the help, however it brings up another question. Is the VIN # the entire number shown as the "IDENTIFICATION NO." on the dash data tag or just the last part of the ID # such as C124 etc. as shown above on Warthogs truck?
The first part of the dash plate is the Registration number. It has no meaning except for tracking in the military. Th C124-xxxxx is the serial number (VIN) and is what you really want because that matches the frame. Some states require matching the frame number to the data plate number. In Oklahoma I have never had anyone look at the frame.

Read CARNAC's http://www.steelsoldiers.com/members-rides/45889-2010-vin-info-thread.html?highlight=2010+vin where he expains it very well.

I have received SF-97s from GSA (free ones...lol) that have had the serial #(correct one), registration and serial #, just the registration #, etc...... The tag agent has accepted them all.

Of course YMMV

Last edited:

Autocar

Thanks Warthog, I have a little better understanding of the numbering system now. I guess I just need to dig thru the paint on the frame where your number is and see if I can find my number.

m818hayes

i'm from connecticut and i used the vin from the dash plate. no questions asked and it only cost me 60 bucks to transfer plates from a pickup i had hope you have as good as luck as i had

Autocar

Found VIN # exactly where Warthog said to look. Problem was that even after sanding off paint, stamping was so light you could barely read it. Carnac gave me info on its history. Waiting for SF97 now.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks