• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help me out here...

Mister Sunday

I'm new here, and I'm seriously shoppin' for a deuce. I've realized that I want one with the air shift front-end and a winch, but I'm still at a loss for other details. I know that I want to be able to get up to 65 mph and I would like the multi-fuel engine. I' ve been paying close attention to the GL site and it looks like the they had some deuces for sale that already had wide single tires on the drives but they had Cat engines. I was wondering if the Cat were a multi-fuel also or would i have to run straight diesel. Of course with the treatment kits out there now I guess you can run wvo in just about any diesel engine. I don't plan on keeping it vintage so I was hoping for some suggestions that would keep me from modifying a collector vehicle that would end up breaking some purist's heart. I appreciate any and all feedback. Sunday out.

m35tech

The Multi Fuel engines within the Deuce are Continentals, Hercules are the only multi fuel engines and are not designed for High Speeds they will not get to 65 if it does it will not be long before engine failure, they are designed for power and torque, very very low rpm, the Cat engines can be adapted for diesel and jet fuel in some cases but not recommended by civilians,

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
with 11-20 tires, looking at 60 mph, about 2550 rpm. Redline is 2600 rpm. Motor, even turned up, isn't that strong for higher speeds. Any kind of a load and your back doing 50-55.

Mister Sunday

I'm looking on th OD Iron site right now. I read that they had wheels so that I could single out the duals on the drives and I believe I read somewhere that one could also put up to a 47" tall tire on the deuce without needing a lift. That should help me out in the speed department.
Which engine is more reliable, has better performance, and easier to find parts for between the hercules and the continental?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
:roll:A3's are slower!

Mister Sunday

I also want to put locking hubs on the front axle and the front drive axle. But I read that one person only put the locking hub on one side of the drive axle and was wondering if this was because of cost or some other mechanical reason.

m109guy

You would be better off looking for another type of army vehicle if you are looking to go fast. Anyone who owns army trucks will tell you that they were not designed to go fast, and making them go fast will either cause lots of damage to your truck, or to your wallet in upgrades!

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
To get a Deuce that fast reliably, you really need to order a set of the taller overdrive gears for the transmission. M35-tom here on the site makes them.

The downside is if you are going to really use the truck for work (or to towbar another deuce) you need to crank the engine up to 5 ton specs....... and that really entails swapping the engine to an LDS multifuel from a 5 ton (search the forum, there are multiple threads regarding the differences between the deuce LDT and the 5 ton LDS and what's required to swap them).

Tom's OD gears and some taller tires will get you there.

Next, we have to consider that you are going to be driving 14,000 lbs of truck a good 15 mph faster than it's designers intended it to go, in a highly overpopulated world that has enormous traffic congestion. You need to ensure the braking system is in absolute TOP notch condition. This is a single circuit system designed in the 1940's. The Reo engineers never imagined (and therefore never planned on) their creations going a mile a minute down the road. They invisioned Army convoys going 30-40 mph.

All the engines are identical. No diff between a Continental, White or Hercules.

One lockout hub is all that's necessary on a rear axle. They are open (non locking axles). There was a big thread about how this works a year or so ago.

Mister Sunday

Thanks all on the comeback. I still want to use the deuce for work so I think I'll just put a taller tire on it. The A3 sure do look alot better to me. I still haven't found the wider rims with the six hole pattern for sale if somebody could tell me where to find them so I can finish working out my budget on this project.
Just to give yall an idea of what I'm planning on doing to the deuce, I'm looking at underhood welders, an oxy/fuel cutting rig, gin poles, another winch, lights everywhere, an intercooler, a wet kit, as far as I can tell the only problem with the engines is keepin there tops on so if anybody knows how to make the head bolts a little sturdier I'd appreciate the info.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The A3 sure do look alot better to me.
Have you looked at or seen a pic of one from the side? I'd have to disagree although there are some people that like the looks of the A3.

If you're wanting gin poles and a rear winch what you need is a M756A2 pipe line construction truck. It already has a rear winch and gin poles. They are kind of rare though.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks