• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help me plan how to pull and replace my motor and trans I CHALLENGE you for Ideas!!!!

gentrysgarage

Ok a few of you know that I live on a small plot of land (>2400 sq.ft) and its on a decent grade.

Slant.jpg

Its 6 1/4" in 82" in the horizontal plane and MUCH more in the lateral. I checked into renting everything from a forklift to a Petibone/all terrain forklift and the cheapest was over 120.00 an hour and 450.00 a day with out delivery for a small forklift! So this option was out.

I am thinking of some kind of gin pole off the tow bar mounts or building some kind of reverse wrecker no.7 set....oooorrrrrr?

GMC-2-12-ton-6x6-CCKW-long-wheel-base-cargo-truck-equipped-with-a-Number-7-wrecker-set-frame-and.jpgPicture3.jpg

Anyway I look at it my property makes it for an expensive proposition. Ideas suggestions??? Pllleeeeaaasssseeee. After I finish the rear suspension this is my next hurdle

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Back in the day when I was in a similar situation to you, to remove the hydramatic, I placed a heavy pipe from the back of the cab to the middle of the dash and ran a comealong off it, lowering it to the ground. Then to pull the engine, I removed the manifolds, head, and all engine accessories, and wrestled the short block out by hand. Doing this resulted in a back injury with herniated discs, so I don't exactly recommend it.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If someone could wrestle the block out by hand, it can't be that heavy. Pull the wheels off and block the bumper up so its as close to the ground as possible. Rent a normal to large size motor puller and take it out like any other motor.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If someone could wrestle the block out by hand, it can't be that heavy. Pull the wheels off and block the bumper up so its as close to the ground as possible. Rent a normal to large size motor puller and take it out like any other motor.
Maybe a couple 2" x 10" planks on 1 side under the wheels to level it up, I've also
put a couple boards across the lower legs with a couple hundred pounds of weight
on them to make it more stable.

gentrysgarage

Thanks!

Find a buddy with a shop?

The shops near me are small, I'd have to tow it 17 miles to get to an area with big enough area just to park it...I live in the land of Prius' and the only ones near are small. It's not a "friendly" place to have any vehicles larger than a 3/4 ton truck. Everything is about the greenbacks here.....more expensive than the rental regretably..

Back in the day when I was in a similar situation to you, to remove the hydramatic, I placed a heavy pipe from the back of the cab to the middle of the dash and ran a comealong off it, lowering it to the ground. Then to pull the engine, I removed the manifolds, head, and all engine accessories, and wrestled the short block out by hand. Doing this resulted in a back injury with herniated discs, so I don't exactly recommend it.
Nice idea I was thinking of the GI issued trans jack but it didn't help getting the engine out. I hear you about injury and being careful. With a vertebrae that broke and refused badly (3/8" spur) if I move a certain way with a load in my hands the pain just shoots through my body...I am more careful and don't help the younger generation move 1" full slabs of granite these days..LOL!!!

Or a buddy with a backhoe.

The only backhoes in my area are owned by the city or government enties ...thus the rental yards charge so much to rent. I sooo miss the country!

Thanks for the ideas!

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rent or borrow an A-frame, and use a come-a-long. Lift the engine and roll the truck out from under. Many a-frames disassemble for easy transport.

gentrysgarage

Maybe a couple 2" x 10" planks on 1 side under the wheels to level it up, I've also
put a couple boards across the lower legs with a couple hundred pounds of weight
on them to make it more stable.

Thanks Again Guys!

I will have to take/find another picture to show that it is facing up a peak and I would have to build a platform out into the street to get any room for removal. The rear crossmsmber without bumperettes and pintle hook is 18" from house so I have no room to remove and maneuver and install the Cummins without building a platform. I have been collecting scrap lumber in case this is the way I go. On a side note I have tried to use 1" plywood before over cobblestone with just a bare Cummins 6BT long block the engine hoist rolled 6" and gradually sunk into the plywood...had to move the frame on a frame jig to drop in the Cummins...what a pain!

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tow truck with a hydraulic boom .
Some times you got to bite the bullet and spend some cash where you don't want to.
In the Peoples Republic of Kalifonia I would be worried at a minute drip of oil on the ground
doing it outside.

Last edited:

Captaincarrier

Ok, it's a long shot, but any grave yards near by. They lower coffins, think of the trucks with the overhead trolley. I am sure they can raise and lower an engine.

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Find a guy that lowers concrete septic tanks into the ground, their boom looks much like the one pictured. If it will lift and hold a 1500 gallon concrete tank, it will surely lift a motor and trans.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Quick and dirty cantilever gantry off the bed and front bumperIMG_4542.JPGdepending on the engine weight, could maybe get away with pipe, and a spare tire, jib trolley instead of I-beam.

gentrysgarage

Keep'em Coming!

Rent or borrow an A-frame, and use a come-a-long. Lift the engine and roll the truck out from under. Many a-frames disassemble for easy transport.
Rechecked rental rates for gantry, 150.00 a day is not too bad, but have to do it on a weekday (they charge for weekends even if they aren't open) so it'll cost my wages for a day and still need to build a platform. Cheapest so far....edit would be cheaper for me to do it on the weekend and pay for the extra day...still a cheaper solution. Only problem is the platform.

Tow truck with a hydraulic boom .
Some times you got to bite the bullet and spend some cash where you don't want to.
In the Peoples Republic of Kalifonia I would be worried at a minute drip of oil on the ground
doing it outside.
Yes but with even the sunshine taxed everything is more expensive here! As for tow trucks..I got stories, but thats for another time. Trust me tow trucks here are nre not an option. They go through "drivers" like toilet paper here...I would be scared for my life and the neighbors down the block! LOL!!!

Funny you should mention the oil thing. Last week they started a new "Turn in your neighbor" anonymous hotline for oil contamination...$10,000 fine and all. I can't wait to retire or for the new CA state (that forms a new state minus Los Angeles, San Fransisco and the coastline inbetween!) dreaming ....

Ok, it's a long shot, but any grave yards near by. They lower coffins, think of the trucks with the overhead trolley. I am sure they can raise and lower an engine.
Never ever would have thought of that...now that's thinking outside the box! I think the Cummins would be too much for them

Find a guy that lowers concrete septic tanks into the ground, their boom looks much like the one pictured. If it will lift and hold a 1500 gallon concrete tank, it will surely lift a motor and trans.
Septic tanks are one step behind the oil "contamination" here, no septic tanks ti out of LA county. But along the same line maybe machinery movers, which use a similar truck. There is only 2 in my area and one is really high (but has this coool shorty ex-Navy carrier forklift!) the other is always too busy...but an option

Quick and dirty cantilever gantry off the bed and front bumperView attachment 716572depending on the engine weight, could maybe get away with pipe, and a spare tire, jib trolley instead of I-beam.
Sort of where I am leaning towards at this point..nice to see a picture!
THANKS GUYS this is a great brainstorming session.....so concerned about the slope(s) issue my brain is locking out the alternatives!

Last edited:

aleigh

You can call a rigger (not a tow truck) and they'll come out and do it properly with a small crane truck. You won't like the price though, like a couple hundred each time. Call around.

If you are real flexible, I am passing through LA... sometime in the next couple of weeks. I've got a service crane on my truck. Maybe the stars can align.

gentrysgarage

You can call a rigger (not a tow truck) and they'll come out and do it properly with a small crane truck. You won't like the price though, like a couple hundred each time. Call around.

If you are real flexible, I am passing through LA... sometime in the next couple of weeks. I've got a service crane on my truck. Maybe the stars can align.
Don't you hate it when you've been typing for 30 mins and you are ready to post and SS logs you out (even with the remember me checked)?

Aleigh, this is the coolest idea and would make a great video! THANKS!

Build a platform and use a harbor freight engine hoist with chain fall.
Setoyota, harbor freight hoists can't take the weight of a Cummins if you extend the boom past the first hole and would not lift it far enough to get it in with the tires off. I bent one boom and the piece it slides into) at the second hole with a Cummins and 727 auto attached!

So the way I see it is 3 options:

1. Aleigh and his MV with service crane (probably the cheapest in the time and money categories, but.....the stars MUST align... this doesn't happen too often with my stars :sad:

2. Cantilever hoist and no platform (second in time and money, plus I could always re-purpose the steel...can't have enough steel....RIGHT?):smile:

3. Rent/buy gantry and build a platform (most expensive in the time and money category, but still a viable alternative.)

So what do you guys think? If you have time list your first and second choices and reasons or even purpose a new one!

Thanks Again!

Last edited:

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know a harbor freight hoist will not lift the new motor especially with a trans attached . Your first problem is getting the old motor out .

As far as height build a platform out of cross ties or 6x6s

better yet build a an a frame and get a chain fall.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now you give us a picture! This is easy... cut that giant tree down, stick it out the window above the garage door, hang your hoist from it, spin the truck around and your set!!!

Just kidding, don’t need anyone else thinking I hate trees. I like the crane on the service truck idea, that would be awesome!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks