• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help me plan how to pull and replace my motor and trans I CHALLENGE you for Ideas!!!!

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In looking at your picture, to be honest. I think you would better off moving the truck the 17 miles to a place you can work on it. I don’t see how there is anyway for you to do an engine swap without being in the road. Crane, hoist, platform or service truck you are in the road . It will also take longer than you plan no matter what you use.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with the above. I do these kind of things for a living. You need to be on a flat surface. A couple of inches off level is one thing, as much of a slope your pic shows is dangerous for the people working on it. Find a flat spot. Where in LA are you?

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with the above as well. Another MV member with a tow bar will do the trick.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another random ideaIMG_3876.jpgIMG_3871.jpgIMG_3886.jpgthe swiveling crane I built. I have plans for another pocket mount for it on my front bumper, one of these days.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Am I the only one that thinks it's just a matter of time before the city "neighborhood protection" squad comes and puts a big red sticker on the truck and sends you a certified letter? (I would not know anything about this subject personally)

CMPPhil

Hi

The last two posts may be hitting at the possibilities and a big issue.

Another random ideaView attachment 716748View attachment 716749View attachment 716750the swiveling crane I built. I have plans for another pocket mount for it on my front bumper, one of these days.
"Am I the only one that thinks it's just a matter of time before the city "neighborhood protection" squad comes and puts a big red sticker on the truck and sends you a certified letter? (I would not know anything about this subject personally)"

I had been thinking about suggesting a swivel crane mounted to the truck but my concern is that once the engine transmission is removed from the truck and swung out to the side you might actually tip the truck over. Yes you could block under the frame but what if.

As to the neighbors and local officials that can be a royal pain in the rear.

My only other approach would be to move the truck to a shop for the engine pull and installation. With the truck in its current condition a rollback could handle it with out much problem.

Cheers Phil

gentrysgarage

Thanks for the suggestions will be deleting thread this weekend!!!!~!

Now you give us a picture! This is easy... cut that giant tree down, stick it out the window above the garage door, hang your hoist from it, spin the truck around and your set!!!
Just kidding, don’t need anyone else thinking I hate trees. I like the crane on the service truck idea, that would be awesome!
Me too!
one more picture
I LIKE IT!
I'll PM you when I know my schedule.
THANKS!!!!
In looking at your picture, to be honest. I think you would better off moving the truck the 17 miles to a place you can work on it. I don’t see how there is anyway for you to do an engine swap without being in the road. Crane, hoist, platform or service truck you are in the road . It will also take longer than you plan no matter what you use.

All avenues are open, just worried about the $$$$$ (towing and renting...again everything is SUPER expensive here)

I agree with the above. I do these kind of things for a living. You need to be on a flat surface. A couple of inches off level is one thing, as much of a slope your pic shows is dangerous for the people working on it. Find a flat spot. Where in LA are you?

I did see a shop close'ish that I remember used to have a Unimog with a radio shelter on the back, will check in there. Kinda parinod now due to NTDs comment below, as far as location Thanks

I agree with the above as well. Another MV member with a tow bar will do the trick.
Thanks for the suggestion, looking into it
Another random ideaView attachment 716748View attachment 716749View attachment 716750the swiveling crane I built. I have plans for another pocket mount for it on my front bumper, one of these days.
JBulach, was thinking of something like that (modded 5 ton davit with longer travel) for when I mount the spare tire behind the cab, but your idea is BETTER...after it was done maybe move up the schedule! :-D
Am I the only one that thinks it's just a matter of time before the city "neighborhood protection" squad comes and puts a big red sticker on the truck and sends you a certified letter? (I would not know anything about this subject personally)

PLEASE don't jinx me...now I am paranoid....happened tooo many times (Had to cut up a 67 Travelall I picked up from Vandenberg Air Force base due to them....) I will get this thread removed after this weekend. Want it to stay up long enough to let everyone know that I REALLY APPRECIATE the help and advice!

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Me too!

I LIKE IT!

THANKS!!!!

All avenues are open, just worried about the $$$$$ (towing and renting...again everything is SUPER expensive here)

I did see a shop close'ish that I remember used to have a Unimog with a radio shelter on the back, will check in there. Kinda parinod now due to NTDs comment below, as far as location Thanks

Thanks for the suggestion, looking into it

JBulach, was thinking of something like that (modded 5 ton davit with longer travel) for when I mount the spare tire behind the cab, but your idea is BETTER...after it was done maybe move up the schedule! :-D

PLEASE don't jinx me...now I am paranoid....happened tooo many times (Had to cut up a 67 Travelall I picked up from Vandenberg Air Force base due to them....) I will get this thread removed after this weekend. Want it to stay up long enough to let everyone know that I REALLY APPRECIATE the help and advice!
You can no longer delete threads , except classified ads . Once it is posted on SS it is here to stay. it becomes part of the archives. There has been a lot of good information this thread that will be useful to others in the future.

gentrysgarage

It is true that there is a TON of good ideas here I would like to ask/BEG those comments from NTD onward be edited out. I was always taught never to call/speak of demons for they will visit the caller and callee alike.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is true that there is a TON of good ideas here I would like to ask/BEG those comments from NTD onward be edited out. I was always taught never to call/speak of demons for they will visit the caller and callee alike.
Well I apologize for poisoning your thread, I assure you the neighborhood protection cops are not trolling Steelsoldiers looking for trucks to write up. In the military we call it "situational awareness", you must always be aware of what might be coming your way and plan for it. I did not, and am now stuck with a $350/mo storage bill to get my trucks away from the eyes of the neighborhood protection agents.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Again, WHERE in LA are you? I might know someplace that can accommodate your project.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks