• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help me troubleshoot electrical problems with m1009

rohe line

hi all!

I have a wierd kind of electrical problem that i cant figure out.:oops:

last night when i used a turn signal my driving lights went off... and after shutting the engine it did not start again.some kind of a short circuit? did i brake some kind of a fuse? i get my gen lights on, wait light on, the heater works and wipers work but nothing else. no ignition(no sounds at all) and also the lights wont go on. what should i look for?

im really bad at troubleshooting... ive been trying to read the manual to find clues but havent found any.

thank you for any ideas
rl

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to SteelSoldiers. Your english is very good.

Sounds like a fusable link has blown.

Do you own a multimeter to check voltages? Do you know how to use one?

We will try to help, but being across the Atlantic, it may take awhile.

rohe line

Thank you

good cars travel far, so did mine :) im a proud owner of a 1986 M1009
well, internet is fast, hopefully i get my answers. if it would start i could take it to a proffessional, but since it doesnt ill have to get her started myself

i think i can find a multimeter and i can use it. question is where should i look and what am i looking for
are there any other things i should check to give you good helpers more information?

hunderliggur

,KISS - check the fuses in the fuse block, all of them. Good time to take out each one and clean it up. tM 9-2320-289-20 Unit Maint Manual page 4-31 has the fuse block diagram. Check to make sure the correct amperage fuse is in each spot (mine were not and it caused some interesting failures)

Last edited:

rohe line

i have checked the fuses in the fuse block, didnt find anything interesting. what do i need to check to find the blown fusible link?

Skinny

You may want to buy a voltmeter or test light and start with get comfy using them. You may pull all the fuses out and they visually look good but that doesn't mean they have power going to them or power coming out of them due to a burnt fusible link or a bad connection at the fuse panel which happens on old vehicles.

Herewego

I had a similar problem with my M1009 when I first got it. If you don't have access to a multi-meter look at your fusible links. Check the orange wires on the passenger side firewall. I didn't have a multi-meter and was able to see they were bad by rolling the wire between my fingers. The insulation felt loose around the wire. Disconnect your batteries first. I know its not the correct method, but it worked for me in a pinch.

rohe line

i checked the fuse box with the multimeter, i get current from every fuse except the two 5A fuses. wierd or interesting or normal?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks