• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help mounting the spare

Dave 52804

When I bought my 1028 it didn't have a spare tire, and the carrier was busted up pretty bad. I bought a wheel and tire from a junk yard, and got new hardware for the carrier. Now I can't get the tire lifted up high enough on the carrier to attach the hardware. The tire doesn't seem to fit. Was the spare the same size as the other tires or smaller? What's going on here??? Thanks for the help!

OL AG '89

pictures???
the mount should have a "channel" that allows the mounting bolt to slide to fit the tire.
If you can fix it, I have my 09 at work. I assume it's the same style mount, I can take pictures at lunch an post.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's definately a B***H!! I made mine simpler by installing a longer threaded rod, which I quickly bent at Haspin. Still works well though!

Dave 52804

Yeah, it is tough!! Looks like the long bolt and nuts on the drivers side can be adjusted down to give me more room, but they're rusted up pretty bad. Is this what I need to do to make the tire fit?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is a picture from the Tech Manual that may help.

The part numbers are listed in the tM 9-2320-289-20p manual.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I usually toss a jack under it to lift up the tire and slide the lock through the crossmember. My spare is the same size as the tires on the truck, 235/85R16.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Using Warthog's illustration, bolt #2 is what I replaced with a threaded (1/2-13 IIRC)rod.

DrJekl

I ust have received a reject because mine is easy to lock in. The hardest part is getting the spare on the rail. The original nut fits through the large hole, lift it up, slide over, tighten her down, slide on the locking deal and a lock if you want and go like he!!.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks