• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help moving M818 from Torrington CT 18 miles to Woodbury CT

Sardo67

Wearhouse clear out, M818 that was driven into the building 8-12 years ago and parked. Friend and I may buy it however, unsure if we can start it where it is now and if it won't run we can't easially move it. Other than $1,200 wrecker bill.

All the the tires are good and no dry rot, everything looks solid, flat tow with a bar would be the fastest and easiest way I think.

Heck, if someone has a bar and wants to help out we have a truck that can pull it.

Any pointers?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How far are you moving it ? Sitting 8-12 years there could be issues with the brakes being rusted to the drums , wheel bearings needing service , if it has moved the grease could be rock hard . If by any chance it would start it is going to need a complete brake service . Do you know any excavating contractors with a low-boy that could move on a back haul or slow day ?

Sardo67

I know plenty of guys that could tow it, all would want 4 figures or **** near it. This is my friends deal and he is on the cheap side and rather impulsive with his purchases. The building owner will probably let us get it for 2,000 or less for it if we can get it out by Saturday sincs it's right in front of the garage door and blocking the other 12-15 or so cars in. He bought a building packed full of stuff and a lot of junk.

I can can see the front axle seals have been leaking the time it's been sitting.

elkhtr

1200.00 dollar wrecker bill sounds a bit high for eighteen miles.
Around here the semi wreckers run around 220.00 per hour for the wrecker, or 150.00 for a tractor and a landoll trailer.
Did he shop around?

swindad2

Wouldn't hurt to call a few towing services if you haven't already. Had my deuce hauled 180 miles on a low boy for $600. Highest quote I got was $830 from a towing company in Nashville, and they would've had to go 140 miles the wrong direction to get it.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wouldn't hurt to call a few towing services if you haven't already. Had my deuce hauled 180 miles on a low boy for $600. Highest quote I got was $830 from a towing company in Nashville, and they would've had to go 140 miles the wrong direction to get it.
Having it prepped to tow would reduce costs also axles pulled (easier than driveshafts ) brakes freed up ect.
But $2000 for the truck $1200 to tow it = $3200 he should be able to find a running driving truck for a few hundred more.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Less than $2k is a good price if you can get it moved reasonably.

M818 has air over hydraulic brakes so the service brakes should not be stuck to the drums. The only thing likely to be stuck is the parking brake if they have it on.

Check the oil levels in the axles, transfer case and then put the transfer case in neutral. Air the front tires up and pull it slowly to listen for noises. If everything looks good, tow it a couple of miles and stop and put your hand on the hubs and brake drums. If they are not hot you are OK. Keep in mind that if you hook up the service brakes to your tow vehicle, they could stick when they are applied (assuming they work). If you need to have the brakes working to tow it, I would trailer it or have a wrecker or large enough tow vehicle so you can stop it.

Good luck.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Less than $2k is a good price if you can get it moved reasonably.

M818 has air over hydraulic brakes so the service brakes should not be stuck to the drums. The only thing likely to be stuck is the parking brake if they have it on.

Check the oil levels in the axles, transfer case and then put the transfer case in neutral. Air the front tires up and pull it slowly to listen for noises. If everything looks good, tow it a couple of miles and stop and put your hand on the hubs and brake drums. If they are not hot you are OK. Keep in mind that if you hook up the service brakes to your tow vehicle, they could stick when they are applied (assuming they work). If you need to have the brakes working to tow it, I would trailer it or have a wrecker or large enough tow vehicle so you can stop it.

Good luck.
If you pull the axles and front caps to flat tow it the only thing you have to worry about failing is the wheel bearings. The wheel bearings and brakes need to be torn down repaired/replace before being put on the road safely any how . There is no way to consider trusting hydraulic brakes that have sat for 8 to 12 years.

Sardo67

We're going to tear into the 818 Friday and see what we come up with. Turns out a friend of ours will let us work on it at his house about a mile away so we aren't going to need low bed or elaborate trailer set up. But after a lot of research 2g is still too much. Going to need to talk a bit more.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks