• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HELP!!! Need Pulled Out of the Mud - (houston) Pasadena, TX

7Dust

Steel Soldiers Supporter
^^^ Probably a hundred feet or less of cable. The road is 300 feet backwards.... Another road is 700 feet (or more forward). There aint nuthin to hook to.

gimaxx

even putting both winches out as far as they will go use a logging chain to make up the difernce low gear and backing out is the best oppoition you got!!

FL_Frank

Awesome links srodocker - good education there - thanks! Guess I need a few more of those 15.5 McKisick snatch blocks and cable now to prepare for some of those pulls....never can have too many of them, or steel cable it seems. =)

If I was closer 7Dust, I'd offer to help ya in a second, but FL is a bit far from ya. =|

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last edited:

jumpinford

Man I wish I was closer. The best part of offroading is a recovery operation IMHO. Lotsa BSin, MacGuyver style ingenuity, maybe a few beers, just always ends up being a good time.

I've pulled two vehicles that size from similar situations with a 75 F-250 runnin twin 60s, 38's and 4.11 gears. One was a semi in a dirt lot that sank in a mild rain overnight, I was able to stay on a paved road and it was still an adventure. The other was a 1300 gallon septic truck a friend sank in a wet pasture while full. That one took two days, a lof of digging, homemade traction ramps about 8 ft long and lots and lots of wheel spin and flinging mud. If you have time, the traction ramps may be a good way to go, but its a lot of work to get the ground dug out so they can be effective.

If you are using logging chains make sure and pull the slack out of everything gently and dont try and jerk it out. With that much length, a failed chain is gonna have a serious amount of energy stored in it and could really hurt someone.

Other than that, please take pics of the recovery and try to keep a good attitude about it all. No one wants to be in that spot, but since you're already there, have fun with it.

dmetalmiki

CAN DO but a lot of work

Get some buddy assitance. then dig a "dead man anchor" some way behind your truck (not too far say two truck lengths) and place a substantial gun plank cut down phone pole railway sleeper(s) or the like..(VERTICALLY) .in the D.M.A. hole. better if it slopes AWAY at an angle FROM the recovery say 45 degrees or so. the deeper the anchor hole the better. BLOCK or fill it ( FIRMLY) in place. Pass your winch under the truck and winch and drive rearwards. SLOW ...STEADY bieng the skill. This proceedure WILL take time and steady methodical work. ***But before commencing winching, Place a sleeper or gun plank across the truck on the ground UNDER the front bumper and on this / these , jack up the front bumper with TWO capable Jacks. Chock for safety when clear of the ground, and then fill ( all ) the wheel tracks / ruts and lower the vehicle to commence.

The rear end / wheels axles should be similarly jacked cleared and or filled if that is required) and it probably is! ( done once all round IS best in the long run (there isn't a short one!))

***It WILL be possible to drive out unasisted ( on your own without winch ) to the rear if this latter proceedure is carried out satifactorily. again SLOW carefull . Good luck let us all know how you get on:: Man / Men on a determined planned mission Succeed. Go for it. You know ..I sorta I wish I was there to help on that one..quite an interesting "challenge" to complete.

7Dust

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Update:

The ruts are filled with water from the saturated ground.

Truck is basically sitting on the axles and drivetrain. Back wheels spin freely with no resistance.

Front axles will not lock. I can flip the switch and I hear something faintly click under the truck but else happens. No front wheel support at all.

I found a tractor with a box blade and front end loader and had him set up as an anchor so I could winch to. I don't have a snatch block so I had to do it as a straight pull. Truck started to move and the pin sheared I guess and I got a backlash on the spool.... so now there is cable everywhere too. WHY does such a big truck have such a crappy winch?

Its going to rain the rest of the week I think.

I've given up and I think this truck is going to be a Monument to Stupidity for a long while.

Everyone honk and wave when you drive by! :mrgreen:

M1075

I don't have a snatch block so I had to do it as a straight pull. Truck started to move and the pin sheared I guess and I got a backlash on the spool.... so now there is cable everywhere too. WHY does such a big truck have such a crappy winch?

:mrgreen:
Hmmm, maybe that snatch block (or two) would have helped?

7Dust

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get some buddy assitance. then dig a "dead man anchor" some way behind your truck (not too far say two truck lengths) and place a substantial gun plank cut down phone pole railway sleeper(s) or the like..(VERTICALLY) .in the D.M.A. hole. better if it slopes AWAY at an angle FROM the recovery say 45 degrees or so. the deeper the anchor hole the better. BLOCK or fill it ( FIRMLY) in place. Pass your winch under the truck and winch and drive rearwards. SLOW ...STEADY bieng the skill. This proceedure WILL take time and steady methodical work. ***But before commencing winching, Place a sleeper or gun plank across the truck on the ground UNDER the front bumper and on this / these , jack up the front bumper with TWO capable Jacks. Chock for safety when clear of the ground, and then fill ( all ) the wheel tracks / ruts and lower the vehicle to commence.

The rear end / wheels axles should be similarly jacked cleared and or filled if that is required) and it probably is! ( done once all round IS best in the long run (there isn't a short one!))

***It WILL be possible to drive out unasisted ( on your own without winch ) to the rear if this latter proceedure is carried out satifactorily. again SLOW carefull . Good luck let us all know how you get on:: Man / Men on a determined planned mission Succeed. Go for it. You know ..I sorta I wish I was there to help on that one..quite an interesting "challenge" to complete.
^^^ Oh yeah - I saw that movie. Isn't that the technique Luke Skywalker used on the X-Wing Fighter in Yoda's Swamp? :-?

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's no way this could break Frodo's record could it? Just like everyone else, I wish I were closer and could help.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks