• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help!! need replacement lunette for M101A1

MIhunter

I need some help guys. The threads on my lunette are dinged up and I cannot get the nut back on. I have been looking high and low for a replacement lunette but cannot find one for the correct size. I purchased one from Oshkosh, but it is way too big. My trailer is stuck into the garane until I find one.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
:ditto:

If it's REALLY messed up PM Hundy. He should have extras.

Scarecrow1

If all else fails I saw one on e-bay today . It was at a very high price ....I think it would be cheaper to take it to a machine shop and have them rethread it .

MIhunter

It looks like someone smacked it a few times on the thread end to get it out. I managed to get the nut off, but now it will not go back on. As hard as it is to find a lunette nut, I don't want to risk cross threading it. The very first threads are smushed. They seem to be beyond clean up

wbdodgeiv

If you really feel you can't fix it yourself, I would take it to your local machine shop and have them fix it. Shouldn't take much, most likely the end mushroomed a bit and some quick file work will get the nut strarted. You probably have just a couple bad threads, you could always carefully remove the first 2 threads with a file and see if the nut will start.

There are many things to try that would be a lot cheaper than buying a new one.

cbvet

It really shouldn't be that hard to repair. As mentioned above, judicious use of a file and/or a hacksaw blade should do the trick.
I know from experience, as I had to beat the crap out of mine to get it out.