• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help needed identifying what this is... and some questions about it.

UNIMOG-GUY

When someone identifies it can a mod change the name to what it is? So that it will be searchable once identified. I looked thru numerous different glow plug/glow plug Resistor/glow card threads and didn't find any pics identifying it. Plus it doesn't help when you don't know the name of what you are looking for.

Couple questions:

1. What is the item that is on the firewall on the far right side in the pictures?

2. In one of my trucks (M1028 the first pic) this has been bypassed and on the other truck (M1008 the second pic) it appears to be hooked up as normal. Why was it bypassed (I'm guessing it failed?) and what could happen now that is has been bypassed?

3. If this had failed in my M1008 could that be the reason I am going thru 8 glow plugs every 7-8 months? Or has something else failed? I have replaced the GP relay and did the Doghead mod.

Thank you in advance,

Chris

Attachments

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is the noise suppressor for the wiper motor. The three cylinder items are capacitors. If your wipers start slowing down or stop, remove the suppressor from the circuit.

They where installed for the military radios.

Last edited:

eagle4g63

To me.....and I add that I DO NOT have a cucv, however I have had countless Chevy's.....it looks like a pack of resisters for the window wipers.....

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those are noise suppressors(capacitors) that were meant to help with radio electronic interference for the military radios used.

They serve no purpose to us in a civilian world.

Yes they can fail.

No, they have nothing to do with your GP performance.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
BTW, you could have quite easily figured out what they were by simply browsing through the -20P TM. Match the picture to what you see. Look at the next page for the proper name and part number. Google either for more info.

Of course asking in the forums works also, but as you can see from eagle's reply, you will need to determine what is fact or incorrect info posted.

UNIMOG-GUY

Great well thank you Dog head, Warthog and Eagle. It is appreciated and thank you DH for telling me how in the future I can find the pics so I don't have to ask a "newb" question.

Now...do you have any suggestions as to why the glow plugs keep failing on the M1008? Something I could test/try? It has the AC60G's I think Advance is about done with me and my 4 returns on the glow plugs in the last 2 years. The M1028 has Wellmans and I haven't had a single problem out of it. And I kind of doubt it has anything to do with the brand of Glowplugs.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great well thank you Dog head, Warthog and Eagle. It is appreciated and thank you DH for telling me how in the future I can find the pics so I don't have to ask a "newb" question.

Now...do you have any suggestions as to why the glow plugs keep failing on the M1008? Something I could test/try? It has the AC60G's I think Advance is about done with me and my 4 returns on the glow plugs in the last 2 years. The M1028 has Wellmans and I haven't had a single problem out of it. And I kind of doubt it has anything to do with the brand of Glowplugs.
There are a bunch of threads and stickies on these. The first question is...has the resistor on the firewall been bypassed yet? If not, it needs to be!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks