• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help, no start....

ldschmidt29

Still new to this. So my truck stop starting. It turns and turns like it wants to crank but never does. First thing I did was turn the glow plugs off, open up the air filter and gave it a shot of ether...Bam she cranked! White smoke everywhere of course. However this is not a permanent solution. So after this I was sure it was the glow plugs. I ran down to Autozone and picked up some AcDelco 60G. All the old ones came right out and the new ones went right in. Checked the wires, all are tight. Went back to start her again, and I got the same thing....turn and turn as long as I hold the key, no fire though....Any suggestions am I missing something or am I totally lost. Im going with the latter of the two so any help or suggestions would be great!!

rod

Mine did the same thing - would turn over but did not start.

I changed the glow plug relay on the engine firewall and problem solved.

It does not sound like a fuel issue with yours, cause mine was doing the same thing.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a test procedure for this exact problem in the troubleshooting section of the FREE Technical Manuals.

Have you downloaded them?

www.jatonkasm35s.com

Just replacing parts is not the way to go.

ldschmidt29

T%hanks for the link to the manuals checking them out now!! I think it is the relay too...After I read these manuals and come to the same conclusion (if I do) where do yall order parts from?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Read the CUCV Wiki. It has alot of the part numbers listed. If you have some time to waste you can also read the CUCV FAQ Sticky.

Both are at the top of the page of the CUCV Forum.

SGT Estum

Your symptoms suggest that the problem is in the cirucit(s) that energize the glow plugs. Following the diagnostic procedures in the TM would have had you check the resistance on each glow plug to determine if they were the fault or not, potentially saving you the cost and time of replacing them -- just another plug for the troubleshooting sections of the TMs. :D

DieselOnly

Mine did this and ended up being a loose wire on the firewall :shock: believe mine was the red wire from the relay to that triangle mount on firewall tightened it and all was good. Goodluck

epitts

From the FAQ

Tools Required

• Multi-Meter / test-light
  • Glow Plug Socket
  • 3' piece of wire, with ends stripped
  1. Remove a wire from a glow plug. Have a helper turn on the key, and check for voltage between the glow plug wire and ground.
    • If voltage present, use a test light and hook the end to the tip of the glow plug while its still in the engine. With the other end of the test light, touch positive. If test light lights up the glow plug is good. Do this for each 8 glow plugs.
    • If no voltage continue
  2. Locate Glow Plug Relay on firewall to the left of the master Cylinder.
    1. check for voltage on the Left large terminal.
      • If voltage present, have helper turn on key, do you hear a clunk from the relay?
        • If no, take your piece of wire, hold one end on a good ground, and touch the other end to the small terminal with the BLUE wire.
          • If you still dont hear the relay clunk, replace it.
          • If you do hear the clunk, your controller card is bad. Replace it, or install the 'manual glow plug' setup.
      • If voltage not present, check for voltage on the left side of the resistor bank (behind air cleaner on firewall)
        • If no voltage, check wire feeding resistors to ensure it is properly connected to the TOP busbar on the firewall
        • If voltage present, verify wire between resistor and relay. if wire is good, replace resistor, or do the 12v resistor bypass.

mistaken1

Did you just replace the relay or follow the troubleshooting procedure?

Are you getting voltage at the glow plugs?

I ran down to Autozone and picked up some AcDelco 60G. All the old ones came right out and the new ones went right in. Checked the wires, all are tight.
What glow plugs were in there to begin with? The stock wellman 070 plugs have a 3/16" spade and the AC 60G plugs have a 1/4" spade. Did you grind your spades down to fit stock connectors? Had the stock 3/16" connectors been replaced with 1/4" connectors?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks