• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help on 5/4 ton CUCV purchase

Santa

I am looking at a 86 CUCV 5/4 ton duelly 4x4 a guy has for sale. It has the 6.2 and seems to be a solid truck. No rust, 65000 miles and starts and runs good. The trans shifts twice and then stays in 3rd to max out at about 55 miles per hour. What i mean is that it feels like it needs to shift again but it does not. Anyway he wants 4k. Is this in the ball park for this truck? It may need tires and some front end work but thats all.
I am also looking at a 95 ford 350 4x4 that has been rebuilt bumper to bumper for 7k. It has no problem going muck faster than the army truck with a fresh 351 build and new 35inch tires. Looking sor a good farm truck. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Skinny

Both are probably good buys and equally stout. The 351 probably will have more power than the 6.2 but the diesel wins hands down for simplicity. You are right, all CUCV's feel like they are missing a gear. Just the way it is with the 4.56 diff ratios. If it is rust free and runs good, probably a good buy. Some photos will help. Remember, good 1 ton trucks that aren't destroyed are worth the money.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
55 is about top end for a CUCV pickup. Much faster and the engine with let you know when it comes apart.

Your choice all depends on what you want to do with the vehicle. We need more info.

Santa

Thanks for the reply guys. I would be using the truck for in the woods hunting, pulling a big boat trailer, farm use of pulling a 7000 lb tractor set up, help with land clearing etc. I am not so great at engine mechanics but know one who is.
I do well at taking care and proper maintenance.

Skinny

I hate to say this, someone spent a lot of money on that Ford. You never get it back out but it looks like you are starting with something which has been completely gone through.

Like it was mentioned, depends on what you want to do with it. If tooling down the interstate at 75 pulling a trailer or driving in comfort (as much as a 1 ton can offer), that F350 is a better option. This is coming from a guy that owns two CUCV trucks.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 6.2L diesel is a strong little engine it was never designed to haul BIG items and rev much past 2500 rpms. It was designed to sip fuel.

The Ford seems too nice to take into the woods but I think you would be happier with it.

Also I edited your post as one of the forum rules does not allow for linking of Craigslist or Ebay ads unless they belong to you.

Last edited:

tim292stro

There's a wide variety of uses: historic preservation, cool factor, utility (work/play).

I drive my M1009 daily as a commuter because it gets about the same milage as my former Toyota pickup, and has less to go wrong - it was cheaper to buy a running CUCV than to fix the Toyota, that's what did it for me. The body style and drive-train is common, so that makes spares easier to find and cheaper when you find them. That said I'm restoring it to factory Military trim for the sake of preserving the "historic value" of a clean un-cut-up Military Blazer from the end of the Cold War because I feel obligated to keep it running and in good shape.

I'm also building a variant of these based on a Crew Cab, since I've always liked the look of the mid-80's body style in Military trim. So I guess I fit in all three reasoning groups... :beer:

GM72K10

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Like everyone else says, it depends on what you want to do with the truck. I have a CUCV dually M1028a2, not a daily driver but a weekend and errands running truck. Plus I'm a HS BB coach and the kids love it.

Attachments

AECS

I have an M1009, it is pretty much a Daily Driver. I got it for a good price, I like the military history, and the EMP resistance of the simple electrical. I was getting diesel one day and a guy in a brand new Vette was in front of me getting gas, he was admiring the Blazer, his comment: "this is expensive, but yours is COOL!" sums it up for me....

MarcusOReallyus

If you don't want to do your own work, maybe the Ford is a better choice. But then again, maybe it's time to get your hands dirty.

Parts on the CUCV are easy - they are mostly stock 84 Chevy, so there are plenty of parts and sources available. The electrical system is a hybrid 24v/12v, which is a bit weird, but does a good job of starting the truck. Takes a bit of getting used to for most people. Other than most of the starting system, and a good part of the glow plug system, the rest of the truck is stock Chevy 12v. Mostly. The black out lights account for the "mostly".

One thing you want to check is whether or not the electrical system is stock. Some people hack it up. A conversion to 12v can be done well, but not everybody does it well.

I bought mine for utility work, hauling my trash to the dump and my firewood to the house,and other general "it's just part of living in the country" chores. I like the cool factor of the military truck, but that's not why I bought mine.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guys please remember that EMP discussions are not allowed.

Back to the discussion at hand. Seems the older I get the more comfort I want when driving. Power windows, door locks and A/C are on that list.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks