• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help reeded with remaking an M5xA2 exhaust

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Help needed with remaking an M5xA2 exhaust

As you can see, my exhaust is a bit kaput. Tried to find replacement in the Netherlands and here, no dice. So it will be a welding job. I thought to take several tube parts with bends in them, and then start welding them together, or just weld some sheet metal across it.

IMG_8520_resize.jpg IMG_8519_resize.jpg

Turns out my son, blacksmith by profession, has an old hydraulic tube bender capable to bend tubes up to 4 inches! The thing is too big and heavy to take to the Netherlands, but we have a suitable 9 cm heavy tube here as well so we can make a replacement exhaust.

From the pictures, it looks that starting at the engine the exhaust makes:
- a bit less than 45-degree angle outwards,
- then another bitt less than 45-degree backwards (my first hole in the exhaust
- then almost immediately 45-degrees upward- that's where the second part of alu-tape is, the hole is facing backwards and inwards.
- through the fender,
- and another 45 degree upwards into the last section: my third hole.

It looks that the exhaust is not going down straight forward through the fender, but already a bit turned toward the engine.

Can somebody help us with some dimensions on those turns or has a good picture from a complete replacement exhaust ? The picture from the parts manual is not very useful and reliable.

Last edited:

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Or use the search term exhaust in the want ads, there is a multifuel 5 ton vendor listed there.[thumbzup]

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the tips, but I am located in the Czech Republic, Europe. That means shipping the whole thing to another continent. That might make it a wee bit more expensive then any of us would like to pay for a piece of metal.

To be honest, I did not check prices for shipping, but given weight and volume combination, it probably would add up. We once send a large hand-made twine basked weighing next to nothing to the USA, and the shipping price of $45 actually exceeded the purchase price.

Edited: I checked the online rate calculator of DHL. They would probably send it by airplane, but they charge a whooping $ 2000 :shock: :shock: based on my specifications (about 90 LBS, packed dimensions 40x30x15 inches). It does not matter that much if the actual volume is less, they count everything as packed in a crate.

ytshrk.gif

I used another online calculator. Funny thing: shipping only the exhaust pipe as crate costs me $ 440. However, shipping the pipe and some other stuff including a crated (10 feet by 4 feet by 16 inches) troop carrier kit for a dump truck costs me only $680. I then tried the troop carrier kit alone and it came out around $440 as well, so probably that is a bout a minimum price for shipping across the big pond

Last edited:

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Robo,

I cannot help you with exhaust parts, but I can advise you about shipping from the US.

DHL is the most expensive carrier. Hellmann Logistics may serve you better, however....

If you can find a dealer in the US that has your parts, have them obtain a USPS quote for shipping your goods. You will (if they serve Central Europe) find their prices to be a fraction of the other carriers.

I know Boyce and White Owl uses USPS. I assume other parts vendors use USPS also.

good luck and let us know what you find.

Rick