• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help reeded with remaking an M5xA2 exhaust

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Help needed with remaking an M5xA2 exhaust

As you can see, my exhaust is a bit kaput. Tried to find replacement in the Netherlands and here, no dice. So it will be a welding job. I thought to take several tube parts with bends in them, and then start welding them together, or just weld some sheet metal across it.

IMG_8520_resize.jpg IMG_8519_resize.jpg

Turns out my son, blacksmith by profession, has an old hydraulic tube bender capable to bend tubes up to 4 inches! The thing is too big and heavy to take to the Netherlands, but we have a suitable 9 cm heavy tube here as well so we can make a replacement exhaust.

From the pictures, it looks that starting at the engine the exhaust makes:
- a bit less than 45-degree angle outwards,
- then another bitt less than 45-degree backwards (my first hole in the exhaust
- then almost immediately 45-degrees upward- that's where the second part of alu-tape is, the hole is facing backwards and inwards.
- through the fender,
- and another 45 degree upwards into the last section: my third hole.

It looks that the exhaust is not going down straight forward through the fender, but already a bit turned toward the engine.

Can somebody help us with some dimensions on those turns or has a good picture from a complete replacement exhaust ? The picture from the parts manual is not very useful and reliable.

Last edited:

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Or use the search term exhaust in the want ads, there is a multifuel 5 ton vendor listed there.[thumbzup]

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the tips, but I am located in the Czech Republic, Europe. That means shipping the whole thing to another continent. That might make it a wee bit more expensive then any of us would like to pay for a piece of metal.

To be honest, I did not check prices for shipping, but given weight and volume combination, it probably would add up. We once send a large hand-made twine basked weighing next to nothing to the USA, and the shipping price of $45 actually exceeded the purchase price.

Edited: I checked the online rate calculator of DHL. They would probably send it by airplane, but they charge a whooping $ 2000 :shock: :shock: based on my specifications (about 90 LBS, packed dimensions 40x30x15 inches). It does not matter that much if the actual volume is less, they count everything as packed in a crate.

ytshrk.gif

I used another online calculator. Funny thing: shipping only the exhaust pipe as crate costs me $ 440. However, shipping the pipe and some other stuff including a crated (10 feet by 4 feet by 16 inches) troop carrier kit for a dump truck costs me only $680. I then tried the troop carrier kit alone and it came out around $440 as well, so probably that is a bout a minimum price for shipping across the big pond

Last edited:

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Robo,

I cannot help you with exhaust parts, but I can advise you about shipping from the US.

DHL is the most expensive carrier. Hellmann Logistics may serve you better, however....

If you can find a dealer in the US that has your parts, have them obtain a USPS quote for shipping your goods. You will (if they serve Central Europe) find their prices to be a fraction of the other carriers.

I know Boyce and White Owl uses USPS. I assume other parts vendors use USPS also.

good luck and let us know what you find.

Rick

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks