• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help! Several Painting questions

The G Man

Hey I have several painting question and I am sure some people on here smarter than me on subject will be able to help.

I have 2 vehicles getting ready to paint M35A2 softop W/O going to use RAPCO Green and Tan CARC Substitute, then Krylon Black. I am planinng on complete paint except frame.

How many rattle cans of each would I need?

Also I have seen the Rustoleum Bedliner in gallon cans. Has anyone used this?
Any advice and how were the results and any advice? I may use this for beds and floor boards.

The second I am going to paint a M1008 in desert Tan with Black V on door on outside only, and not painting the bed. How many cans of RAPCO Tan would I need?

Thanks for the help. I would rather have a couple cans left over than not enough and have to reorder.

Just got my "36's" installed today on CUCV will be posting pics soon. Still needs alot of work due to GL Forklifts.

Stan

Any thoughts on using a airless sprayer or one inch roller and brush. I've done it both ways using the paint from Rapco and it looks great. Seems easier than all those spray cans.

AceHigh

Can I suggest something? Read this thread first:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/paint-bodywork/11373-rustoleum-rusty-metal-primer-red-version.html

I have some trouble spraying the Rustoleum smoothly, so sometimes I brush it on. No problem because it gets a sanding before the finish coat. Painting with Gillispie paints is stupid simple, and doing it outside is fine.

If you rattlecan it, it will show as a rattlecan job. It will be OK but a rattlecan job. It is actually much easier to spray it instead of rattlecan. Seriously.

Less than 4 gallons on a deuce is usually needed.

wsucougarx

I would also like to make a suggestion. Do you want a really flat black close to CARC black? If so, goto Home Depot and buy BLACKBOARD PAINT in the rattle cans. It is the flattest black I have found thus far. Don't buy the paint in jars, just rattle cans. It is much flatter than Krylon