• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help us get him in the truck!!!

AmericanSteelWmn

Many thanks to all!!!
I would have been in here last night but I had to work and couldn't play on the computer:cry:

Yes, He can transfer in and out of his chair by himself, into his Jeep, which is lifted, into our boat, nothing fancy, just an old Fisher Marine aluminum bass boat, blah blah. Years ago, before we met, he used to have a lifted Chevy truck, which he used to have a Bruno lift in it...go figure!

Yes, he is very self sufficient, so something that he can do himself would be best.

Yes, something 'portable' would be great...I don't want to go places in the deuce without him, he'd have to be passenger, he doesn't drive stick anymore. A ramp would be cool if it could be thrown in the back and easily assembled.

2 buddies is alot harder than you may think!:eek:

The seat that comes out and lowers and takes you back up, I've seen those, but would they be able to go past the step?

I wouldn't have a problem cutting up the back of the cab to put an entry point for him there...but he might.:?

the deuce is a rag top.

Now...even though he's in the chair...don't let that fool ya! I've seen him make chicken salad out of chicken **** more times than not!! If he's got a visualization of something, he can figure out how to make it, and make it work...I was mainly looking for input so he doesn't wake me up in the middle of the night just to let me know that he figured out how he's gonna make it work (he's done that to me several times!) he enjoys welding and fabrication, so even if we throw together a couple ideas to get one end result it gives him something to do that will benefit all!

Besides...Brainstorming is fun!!:razz: and healthy!!

I cant wait to tell him about this thread..:jumpin:

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have years of experience with a parapalegic and his vehicles.
My 1st thought was of the 5 ton tire hoist. ( brings backs visions of him & chair hoisted 30ft into a tree during bow hunting season).

but I think a 'break down' ramp could be fabbed from aluminum easily enough.
It would be light enough for you to lift it into the bed. ( possibly in 2 or 3 pieces.)
The ramp would allow him to transfer himself.
It could also be used to get him in a position to tinker under the hood, or at least supervise.

You had talked of 'bobbing' the truck,
Using a shortened drop side bed, a modified bus wheel chair lift could be set up in the bed , if planned out well could even be folded out of site.
Although that lastest concept would be several thousand $$$

Numbers

I have years of experience with a parapalegic and his vehicles.
My 1st thought was of the 5 ton tire hoist. ( brings backs visions of him & chair hoisted 30ft into a tree during bow hunting season).

but I think a 'break down' ramp could be fabbed from aluminum easily enough.
It would be light enough for you to lift it into the bed. ( possibly in 2 or 3 pieces.)
The ramp would allow him to transfer himself.
It could also be used to get him in a position to tinker under the hood, or at least supervise.

You had talked of 'bobbing' the truck,
Using a shortened drop side bed, a modified bus wheel chair lift could be set up in the bed , if planned out well could even be folded out of site.
Although that lastest concept would be several thousand $$$
Barry, a good friend of mine is a Quadrapalegic. He was in the 101st when he was injured. He drives a F250 which he hauls his race cars with. Yes, he still races his cars and even works on them. Limited use of his hands, however, he has enough to grip and slam. If he can get in and out of a F250 with a slight lift, then a 'break down' ramp as suggested might be the best idea. Attach a few strategically placed hand grabs and he should be OK. Don't forget the additional handles inside the cab also for when vehicle is in motion.

Some of these mods may even be able to be done at or with assistance from a mobility center. Explain your situation and they might even surprise you with their ideas.

bulldawg

Just trying to get an idea of the total picture.

1. How much upper body strength does he have?

2. Is he in a manual or power chair?

3. Hopefully he can safely transfer from a sling seat to the deuce seat.

4. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO LOAD HIM USING A RAMP. THIS IS VERY DANGEROUS AND COULD GET BOTH OF YOU HURT.

5. I use a power chair weighing about 300 # and my Bruno lift is rated for 400#.
Due to the distance to be lifted a standard wheelchair lift probably would not work.

I have used a power chair for 10 years and i have off roaded a lifted Jeep on 35's and now have a Polaris RZR. Friends are great help when needed but indepence is golden.

Good Luck

AmericanSteelWmn

He's in a manual chair...says as long as he can push himself around, he's gonna do it. He's not a tiny guy...at one time he was going for the world record for paraplegic bench press. My opinion, I think he's strong as an ox. He has an aluminum frame wheelchair, weighing in around 15-20#.
and yes, he is very independent.

stampy

How about a slide out hoist/chair. After he stands and opens the door he pushes the button that releases the air cylinder in the cab roof and lets the trolly with winch and seat slide to the edge of the door frame. A simple hand control for the winch drops the chair/ seat to the ground. He sits and then the 500lb hoist pulls him up. He starts the deuce and then pushes the retrive button to fire the air cylinder to pull him into the cab as pressure builds in the air system. I imagine a 2 rail system fastened to the cab top linear bearings connected to a plate with the winch attached to a air cylinder with a 3 ft stroke. I am sure there is a way to pull this off.:-D

stampy

If this sounds interesting and you want drawings or more info I am 1 to 1 1/2 hrs south of you on 85 and would be glad to show you what I am talking about we have industrial equipment that uses these kind of devices just not on a deuce,:-D I think most of the parts could be had on ebay cheap too. The chair might be able to fit under the spare tire mount if it's collapsable. You could forget the whole air cylinder deal if he is strong enough to pull out the trolly and slide himself in by grabbing a handle to slide the trolly in.

Last edited:

AmericanSteelWmn

How about a slide out hoist/chair. After he stands and opens the door he pushes the button that releases the air cylinder in the cab roof and lets the trolly with winch and seat slide to the edge of the door frame. A simple hand control for the winch drops the chair/ seat to the ground. He sits and then the 500lb hoist pulls him up. He starts the deuce and then pushes the retrive button to fire the air cylinder to pull him into the cab as pressure builds in the air system. I imagine a 2 rail system fastened to the cab top linear bearings connected to a plate with the winch attached to a air cylinder with a 3 ft stroke. I am sure there is a way to pull this off.:-D

That sounds great, but...he can't stand.;-) how about something he can transfer over to?

It does kinda sound expensive too.

:)how far are you from OBX?:smile:

Last edited:

stampy

You will drive right by me if you take 85 South. I am about 2 miles off exit 212 Dabney drive in Henderson NC. There are other mods that could be made to transfer but unfortunately that will make it cost more as well.

Numbers

4. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO LOAD HIM USING A RAMP. THIS IS VERY DANGEROUS AND COULD GET BOTH OF YOU HURT.
Why do you think a ramp is dangerous? Numerous individuals who use wheelchairs use them. My mother used one for entrance to a house which stood about the same as a deuce's door (kind of long and really heavy). Barry, previously mentioned, uses one as a quick access ramp to make a quick get away but he leaves his in place (His is shorter and much more portable). However, like I said previously, he is capable of doing this without a ramp into an F250. I realize that if one builds a ramp all the way to the deuce's door, the ramp will be long and heavy. However, apparently, this subject does not need a ramp all the way, just part of the way. Maybe even, one of those folding (hydraulic actuated) footsteps that move out of the way once loaded, leaning and grabbing while waiting to come level with the step entrance is one other option. No, I am not speaking from someones perspective who has never been in a wheelchair either. I was one of those that had to be picked up and delivered pretty much wherever I went.

If he is home this weekend, I will go by and get some pictures. However, he one of the most mobile people I know and is rarely home.

AmericanSteelWmn

Bryant uses a ramp to get into the house, but it's a permanent ramp. actually, I would like something that could be mounted to the truck, to hoist. as far as his chair, I can figure something out with that...like a compartment that I could slide it into (to keep it out of the weather should we go somewhere and run into rain etc.)

again...I love these ideas...and even if I have to wait til next year to be able to get him into it, the end goal is to get him into it safely!! So if it ends up costing abit more than I want, guess I'll just have to save up!!
Thanks to you all...keep em coming...I love brainstorming sessions!

Nonotagain

AmericanSteelWmn,

Late last year I traded for a Dodge van that had a wheel chair lift made by CrowRiver.

The CrowRiver lift varies from other lifts as they use a single column lifting mechanism that can be mounted either on the left of right side of the vehicle. By modifying the lift arms you can change the maximum height that the lift will reach.

WHEELCHAIR LIFT - eBay (item 230348275276 end time Jun-19-09 22:10:34 PDT)

Other than the Crow River lifts, the only other lift type commercially available is one that mounts into a full size bus, which is close to the height of the Deuce

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks