• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help W/ M101A2 Brakes

RJM27

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I put trailer # 2 into service this weekend. Parking brakes work fine, although surge brake has nothing. Plently of brake fluid in resivor. I don't want to re-invent the wheel (Or the brakes), suggestions on what to do first, and proper way to bleed(that almost happen going down the hill with the trailer loaded with gravel, behind my Massey TO-30 whew what a rush), would be helpful.
Thanks
Bob

stereoman405

Subscribing as I would like to know how to service / bleed these things as well.

I've heard (but haven't tried) that to bleed surge brakes on a boat trailer you just get it pointed up hill and crack the bleeders so that the fluid gravity feeds down and out from the reservoir naturally. Just make sure you have someone to help keep the fluid topped off so you don't suck air in.

Snarky

You could try to create one of the power bleeders people have made or bought around here. Just something to apply suction to an open bleeder valve.

jimbob1111

Hi,
In the shop we have bled the brakes on boat trailers with surge brakes by:
1 gravity bleed until fluid comes out wheel cylinders.
2 ease trailer frame againt solid object (metal pole by the bay doors) & chock wheels.
3 have someone safely crack bleeder while tow vehicle "gently" pushes against trailer.
Kinda like pumping the brake pedal with a Jeep. I would usally end up driving because my jeep XJ has a front reciever hitch.
HMFG

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks