• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

help with 1954 M37 color identification

Mr. Crowley

Hi.
I am starting a front end rebuild, brakes, steering knuckles, on my 1954 M37. Can anyone properly identify the color on my rig? I believe this is totally flat paint. While apart, I am having the parts sandblasted and painted before reassembly.
I can't believe how many different greens there are. Thanks for any help.. I would also like to thank the members who offer their expertise to novices such as myself... Joe

Attachments

emr

I can not from those pics, But mil paint and hobby mil paint does not stay the same shade for long, they fade, alot, many parts being painted over the years is a give in on most trucks. there are a few shades that would pertain to your truck though, 24087 is the most widely used and correct for vietnam, but that year truck would be different if Uwant an original look,and i can not for the life of me remember right now the number for it. But wether its arvoe or gilespie U use or one of the others, they all fade and are all good. To see it in real life, i and alot of other guys just might be able to give U one close shot at what it is. maybe send a better pic to randyemr@aol.com But remember I can only give an idea, but what the hey.

Carter

I painted my restored truck with Gillespie 24087 and thought the finished color was a little to brown to match what was on the truck when I got it. It had been rebuilt and painted at Letterkenny in 1969 and had a little more of a green tint to the army applied paint.

Album pix: M37 USA 201010909

Attachments

M-37Bruce

Gillespie Coatings

I'm using Gillespie Coatings as well, but adding a reducer & hardener to the mix, I'm liking the gloss, but it will fade, I'm sure? BTW, it is the Marine shade, I look for the #'s later on, if your needing it?

One more.

Attachments

vj

my nephew just did a lot of work on his 53 m37, but he painted it ww2 color, which is 34087, but this m37 had been paint 4 time in the past. all was military paint, so it change some from layer to layer. i hear some of the early model might have had the ww2 paint. The rapco guy is good on the m37, he will know that years color for your 54 m37. also my nephew bought the stencil set for 125 dolloars to do the number and star, not the decals, so its looks sharp. also cut the gas tanks open and sand blasted, then added the red sealer. he want to got to the soft top, it has got the origanal hard top. wendell

nattieleather

The color is 24087 on your truck. It has flaten and darken with age (typical of original GI paint) If you want to have it be an exact match to the paint that is on there you could take a part to the paint store and have it color matched by their PC. That would make it identical to what you have. There seems to be some color and shading differneces in 24087 over the years.

txdodge43man

The paint will change shade depending on the color primer that was used. Ive see trucks with a grey primer and top coated 24087 next to trucks that had a red primer and top coated with 24087 and the truck with red primer is usally darker. Of course you need a good eye and know what your looking at to notice it

Carter

It never occured to me the primer color would make a difference but it seems logical now that you mention it. I used grey and got OD with a tan tint to it.

67Beast

my nephew just did a lot of work on his 53 m37, but he painted it ww2 color, which is 34087, but this m37 had been paint 4 time in the past. all was military paint, so it change some from layer to layer. i hear some of the early model might have had the ww2 paint. The rapco guy is good on the m37, he will know that years color for your 54 m37. also my nephew bought the stencil set for 125 dolloars to do the number and star, not the decals, so its looks sharp. also cut the gas tanks open and sand blasted, then added the red sealer. he want to got to the soft top, it has got the origanal hard top. wendell

He should have looked here, index it would have saved him $75 on the stencil kit.

And yes, it does make a difference in the final coloring with Gillespie #24087 as to what primer you use. The dark red primer that Gillespie sells gives a much darker color than regular automotive red primer, and way more than grey primer. All 3 of my trucks are Gillespie 24087 over Gillespie dark red oxide primer, and are usually a touch darker than other Gillespie painted trucks at shows.