• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help with 6.2 L Genset

micochico

I have been hunting for TM 9-4940-559-14&P for my SEGPRSM and have had no luck finding a copy, I believe the TM is not yet released for distribution. My main point of interest is information on the genset. The trailer has a 6.2 GM diesel 220v 3 phase genset. The genset has not run since 1997 and I am not real thrilled to try starting it and having it immediately take off to 1800 RPM. Does anyone have any idea of any other applicatcations where else this generator may have been used or where I might find a TM that would help with the 6.2 in a electronically controlled constant speed application?

I have been hunting for an ID tag on the genset unit but there is barely any access to the engine or generator end.

Thanks
Tom

micochico

Thanks. I have been using that TM for most aspects of the trailer. The generator seems like one of the major changes between the SGPRSMD and the SEGPRSM. My trailer has a GM V8 diesel mounted across the tongue directly over the landing gear while the SGPRSMD has a White inline 6 mounted inline along the trailer tongue with the generator end sticking into the trailer. The only access to the generator is the door on the genset end or 2 little 12" square doors on the top (1 over the radiator cap and one over the battery tray) It seems like inside the enclosure the generator has a steel square tubing frame with lift points so I think it might be standard unit. But I can't envision having to drill out all the rivets to get the skin off to service the generator.

Thanks

Tom

Attachments

oshpunit987

I didn't download it. It was coming in slowly and got down to about 27 pages and looked to be in detail and I figured it was what micochico was wanting.

hre513

Thanks. I have been using that TM for most aspects of the trailer. The generator seems like one of the major changes between the SGPRSMD and the SEGPRSM. My trailer has a GM V8 diesel mounted across the tongue directly over the landing gear while the SGPRSMD has a White inline 6 mounted inline along the trailer tongue with the generator end sticking into the trailer. The only access to the generator is the door on the genset end or 2 little 12" square doors on the top (1 over the radiator cap and one over the battery tray) It seems like inside the enclosure the generator has a steel square tubing frame with lift points so I think it might be standard unit. But I can't envision having to drill out all the rivets to get the skin off to service the generator.

Thanks

Tom
You have a GM 6.2 diesel in there powering a generator? I would like to see pics of that.

micochico

Well this is the only picture I have of the genset right now. I am pretty sure the enclosure was riveted together around the unit. This is the door located directly above the landing gear. The generator head is pretty good size it is almost as long as the V8. I am guessing 60+ KW (that sounds reasonable for a 6.2 @1800, right?)

The genset has it own steel frame work (with lifting points than cannot be reached because of the enclosure). It had 4 6TLs that mount in a tray directly above the generator end and the access door above them is barely big enough to get them out. The only other access is an ~8 x 8" door above the radiator / oil fill neck. Oppsite of the genset end is the louvered radiator.

I didn't want to start drilling rivets to get to the engine and found out that by climbing into the front storage box that there entire wall between the compartments unbolted so I now have access to the drivers side of the engine via the front storage locker.

This has possibly been my craziest GL purchase yet. As GL described it was a trailer including a boarding ladder. Unmanned site and wouldn't let me preview. I assumed it was empty which worked nicely for the project I had in mind. When it arrived found it nicely outfitted (27" lathe with complete set of tooling, drill press, air compressor, genset valve grinding machine, asst tools and the complete canvas enclosure set).

I don't have the heart to strip the stuff out of it so I have been slowly working on cleaning it up and trying to get everything operational. I'll find a lesser trailer for my project. I know the lathe works, it has never been used, still coated in cosmoline :grin:. The tooling was all still in the crate in the front storage locker. There was a lot of random trash inside and while cleaning up I found what appeared to be the exercising log for the genset which accounts for ALL 60hrs of runtime up to 1991 and the radiator is label drained '91. I'd believe the little bit of fuel I drained from the tank was from '91 too.

I have found no other 6.2 military genset applications and very reluctant to to try just adding fresh fuel see if it runs. I have no 6.2 experienence and this thing is basically like working on a ship in a bottle. The front acess had been nice if you like hanging out in a little metal box trying to work on an engine. I think I am going to remove the bottom panels of the enclosure and then raise the landing gear and let the trailer tongue down so i'll be able to reach the top of the engine.

I'll try to get some pics from inside the storage locker tomorrow. With luck I'll get my brother to stop by and get pictures of me, the 6'2" guy, climbing in that little door to take the pictures :smile:.

Any tips for flushing the fuel system would be greatly appreciated as I think that is the next task I'm going to tackle.

Tom

Attachments

Stonepicker1

I have it in pdf. TM 9-4940-559-14&P.

We had one of those trailer in our welding section back in the 80's.
I saw a 6.2/with Gen in the box, looked new sell at Jacksonville, FL a few years back.

Ratch

Sheesh, that's hard to work on. With 17 years of being stationary, I would absolutely NOT turn that engine over without spraying penetrating oil in the cylinders. There's probably minor surface rust on everything inside, and just turning the crank will be like running sandpaper on every moving part. The cam/lifters/bearings can all handle it, but the cylinder walls will ruin compression and kill the engine.
I'm going to guess you're going to need piston rings if it wasn't fogged and prepped for storage. You could get lucky with the rings, but I would definitely not turn that engine without multiple shots of penetrating oil and fogging oil, sprayed in several times over a few days.
It may be tempting to spray fluids into the intake, turn it a little by hand, then spray more in, but the right way to do it would be by getting a tube into each cylinder. I don't know if the injectors can be removed for direct access in that engine, but that's what I'd suggest. Don't dump boatloads of fluid in and then turn it. Spray it in, then wait at least a day before turning the crank (by hand), and leave the injectors out so any excess fluid can spray out and not hydrolock the engine. Once you know it turns, drain all that junk from the oil pan before starting, so it doesn't wash out the rest of the engine. If you try to start it and depend on the oil pump to lube it after sitting so long, it will probably ruin the motor.
Don't rush, there's a lot of potential for damage by taking shortcuts. You're probably going to have to pull the assembly out, or the riveted cover off.

That's an awesome auction buy, btw!

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ratch, the original post was 3 1/2 years ago. I hope he got his engine started before now. ;-)

Last edited: