• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help with data plates for possible Deuce purchase

pcbowman

I am thinking of buying a duece and was wondering if anyone has any information they could give me based upon the dataplates:

The ad says it is a 1973 M35A2C latbed Truck, 12' Bed w/Fold Down Sides, 6x6, Diesel Engine, 5-Speed Trans, S/N: NK084J064010836

The photos of the dataplates are:

Attachments

williamh

and where is this truck ??? but there is not much other than what you allready stated .. its a drop side truck with winch . missing the top , the grill , and without looking at it more there is not much else to tell , you got most of it in your description ... the data plate will only give when it was made ... and who built the truck

williamh

there are a lot of questions to ask ... does it run ...is there a pink slip ?? or a sf97 ... there is a lot of info that you can use from the picking up your duce section that you can use ... if it runs your halfway there ... how much is he asking for the truck .. ??

pcbowman

3,500, it has a california registration and says besides the batteries being dead it runs perfect. I have not gone out to see it, but plan on going on thursday to check the axle seals and other items. But for that price it seems better than getting it off a base. I hope the brakes work fine so I could drive it home. How much does the canvas and bows run for front and back?

williamh

the top for the cab will run you between 150-250 .. and the rear will be a lot more , between 450-600 depending on if it has the bows or not .. a hard top will also be about 250 off e-pay

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Well, its a 1973 model dropside cargo truck. It appears (best I can read the data plates) that it probably has its original LDT-465 Multifuel engine in it. From wear standpoint, that is probably not a good thing - but from a collectors standpoint it is a very good thing.

FWIW - truthfully, the VIN number of the truck is 064010836 - the NK084J is the Army registration number - but if there is a clear title I wouldn't sweat it whatever it reads.

HTH,
David Doyle

jasonjc

If you get it and drive home make shure you tye down the hood. It hooks to the grill that is not there. IT WILL FLY OPEN. not fun.

JDToumanian

Looks like the engine data plate says mfg. in '77... If they replaced the tach when they replaced the engine, that would be good - the engine would have only 231 hours on it. How do they know that the total hours is 2300?

One of the gauges was obviously replaced or disconnected - 61,482 miles in 231 hours equals an average of 266 mph...

Make him an offer! :D

Jon

pcbowman

I read it wrong... thanks for catching that. I am going out there tommorow to look at it. Hopefully everything runs well and I am going to take the list on this site to check everything out. Does anyone know how much the front grate would cost since it is misssing?

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
JDToumanian said:
Looks like the engine data plate says mfg. in '77...

Jon
Jon,
You've got better eyes than me - I thought it said 73! If I just knew a good eye doctor.....:)

Regards,
David

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
pcbowman, Are the troop seats all there? What did you find out about seat belt laws?

pcbowman

No, I will have to buy them after the fact. I found out that the seatbelt law would not be applicable but for insurance purposes you would have to fit them with seatbelts to use them in a commercial operation. I am going to look at it today so I will let you know if I get it.

JDToumanian

The front grille/guard things are around and should be fairly cheap... lots of trucks get scrapped and that piece is not usually missing. Walker's here in Hesperia has at least 3 of them and he would probably be the most reasonably priced (760) 244-8060.

There are others that would have it... Victory GSE in L.A. or Antelope Valley in Lancaster.

Jon

pcbowman

I put a deposit on the truck today and just need to go back and pick it up. So I have joined the club of deuce owners. Once I pick it up I will have to change my signature. Does anyone no where I can get a set of manuals on-line? Thanks for everyone's help and advice. I am sure that now that I own one I will be posting a lot more question.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks