• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help with electrical

Beardedpastor

Hello.. My headlight and tail lights quit working.
I pulled the plug from back of light switch. There is no power coming in on the”F” pin… Can someone help me troubleshoot this??? Where does power come for the light switch.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Hello.. My headlight and tail lights quit working.
I pulled the plug from back of light switch. There is no power coming in on the”F” pin… Can someone help me troubleshoot this??? Where does power come for the light switch.
Schematic / TM in hand? Comes from the batteries, engine connector in, out the cabin connector... open wire, bad box, connectors?

Not the first time I have seen this. What else is not working? Heater, wipers? Little tip, just passes thru the box, no treatment.

Looks like you found your problem, CAMO at CAMOTEKSYSTEMS

Last edited:

Beardedpastor

Wipers and etc are working . My Pcb box is brand new less than 2 months old. Supplemental grounding harness installed.
Could the voltage regulator play a role in no power?
No headlights, blinkers, brake lights, running lights.

excuse me ignorance but what does “TM” stand for in your post. Thanks

papakb

TECHNICAL MANUAL, something you need to become familiar with if your going to own a HMMWV. It's surprising how so many people out there are willing to spend the high dollars that it takes to get involved with a vehicle like this and then are completely ignorant of the thousands of pages of valuable technical information that the military has put into these manuals. They're online, free to download, and contain 95% of the information routinely asked for here on SS. There are general information sections, troubleshooting guides, repair and replace instructions, schematics, and parts lists. These manuals are written for people with limited automotive skills in a language most high school folks will understand. Become familiar with them, they're your friend. :unsure:

DID I MENTION FREE?

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Wipers and etc are working . My Pcb box is brand new less than 2 months old. Supplemental grounding harness installed.
Could the voltage regulator play a role in no power?
No headlights, blinkers, brake lights, running lights.

excuse me ignorance but what does “TM” stand for in your post. Thanks
TM = Technical Manual. The one the dealer left out of the glove box. rofl

Here's another free / guess / tip. IF for some reason the batteries were NOT disconnected when installing the connectors and the ENGINE connector just happen to go on OK first... PIN F is NOW HOT on the CABIN connector at ALL times. SO... GI JOE if trying to install the CABIN connector on and gets all sideways up under there with trying to locate keyway and fumbles-fiddles around and just happens to make contact with the CABIN F pin on the box to ground (very easy at this point) ... JOE just (likely) arc welded the F pin off the box or burned it back to a little nub. (check cable end too) Takes only a micro-second. Big flash and a OH OH Sh1T moment.

The "F" pin CABIN connector is also the "F" pin going to the lighting switch wire # 15A if I remember correctly.

Disconnect batteries and check around. There's NO fuses to look for. Box as stated provides no magic. Goes IN...Comes out. That's if it didn't toast inside.

Trying to figure or walk thru these type a problem is a crap shoot (already said that) so this is my free guess of the day. Eyes in the TM, eyes on the problem and a multi-meter and check check check. Good luck and report back.

Can't see it from here, Good luck, CAMO

I have some GOOD examples here at CAMOTEKSYSTEMS of this... POOF . Time to sleep.

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pin F powers the light switch, it comes from pin F on the EESS box body side connector.
You may want to disconnect inspect and reconnect the body side connector.
EDIT, of course disconnect the batteries first.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Pictures worth a 1000 words. Here's what could happen (not saying this threads issue just note) BUT not disconnecting batteries and a little slip could be a 1000 dollar boo BOO not to mention toasting the electronics in the smart box.

OooPs... Both pins "G" and "F" are always HOT with the ENGINE connector in place. Here GI JOE got the connector shell hung up between "G" and the connector. Blasted the shell and burnt the "G" pin back and ball the pin... Then went to change his shorts, changed the box... try again.

Cabin CON (2).jpg

A nice CABIN / BODY cable female end.
Cabin CON (1).jpg

And a new CABIN / BODY box connector.
0.jpg

Could be a simple loose wire or thousand dollar headache, AND yes.... could be fixed on the cheap, CAMO

Last edited:
Reactions: OBX
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks