• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help with Fording exhaust/ sponson louver clearance.

Navy dude

I have a deep water fording kit and want to install vent louvers on my left slant back sponson. I wont get to the exhaust for a bit, but it looks like I might have to mount the louvers far enough forward that they may run underneath the pipe. The louvers stick out a bit less than an inch from the sponson. Does anyone out there have a fording exhaust mounted on a slant back that could measure the clearance between the sponson and pipe to see if this will be a problem? I have moved the louver as far back as possible, but the sponson gets too narrow as it goes aft and the louver wont mount flush too far back with the bend in the sponson. I would really be interested in the measurement from the bottom of the sponson straight outward to the pipe shroud...Thanks so much!!!

Last edited:

BLK HMMWV

do you have the fording exhaust pipe. you can measure the space from the bracket that's welded on to it to the mesh around the pipe. You should have enough room.
I took my sponson's off or I'd measure for you.

BLK HMMWV

Send me a email address . I'll take a few pictures for you.
Basically if you measure from the back of fender that the sponson is going to bolt to forward and put a mark at 38" (bottom)
and do the same at 32" (top) and draw a line between the marks that is the back edge of the fording exhaust.

If you mount the louver behind the mark(towards back of truck) you should be clear.

Action

My pipe is in the garage. The screen is about 1 3/8" from the truck side of the mounting flange. BUT, the screen is flat in that area. Further up is rounded and will be closer to the body.

Navy dude

Thanks guys! yeah, looks like I cant push it far enough back to have it aft of pipe. I have the pipe in a box in attic, but I suppose I will dig it out and measure to be sure. Action, by your measurements it looks like it might work, but I see what you are saying about the screen rounding out. All will probably be clearer if I just unbox it, but as always sometimes something isn't apparent until it's on.... hoping someone had it installed....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks