• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help with Fuel Alternatives

DHennon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since so many of us on SS are owners of Multi-Fuel MVs, and fuel costs constantly rising, I, like many of you, are looking for affordable ways to run alternative fuels. How about a new, current thread for listing the different ways or methods you are using to mix a brew that we could use to help us lower our operating costs too. Specifically from those of you currently using set ups along with pictures, places to go, and estimated costs for the equipment.

bill2444

I have been using wreckermans deuce elixer. but have cut back on the diesel since using a secondary heated tank. Though i wish i could score some tranny fluid to throw into the mix for some detergent action. All the tranny shops up here burn their oil in waste oil heaters.

197thhhc

We use straight filtered WMO. It works great but in the cold weather we mix 5 gal of gas with the oil to thin it for easier start up.In our area You can buy waste oil from an independant shop for about $1.00 per gallon. The RE-Refiners pay them about .80 cents per gallon. If you get with one and leave a 55 galon drum for them they are usually good about filling it. Then you can switch out weekly.

Bigmanbrock07

I got an offer to start picking up grease from a restaurant here soon. Guess no one is picking it up anymore for biofuel so he offered it to me. I'm told he puts it back in 5gal jugs that it comes in when he changes out the oil every so many days.

Does anyone run fryer grease or oil in their rigs? Mix it up like biodiesel or will these multifuelers run it just filtered?

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Oil out of a fryer is subject to have water in it due to frying frozen food in it.

I use two bluejean pant legs tied at the bottom to filter out the crispies and then set it out in the sun in the 5 gallon cubies to heat up (in the summer).....most of the water will settle out and you can pump out all but a couple of inches (do not pour it out it will mix back in) out into a storage drum. Keep pouring up the dregs and let them settle and you can pump the good stuff off the top.

I run 50/50 diesel/veggie in my diesel Ranger in the summer.

My deuce elixer mix is 30 gals of WMO, 30 gals of WV0, 30 gals of straight diesel and 10 gals of reg gas.

Since fuel has gone out of sight I may use less diesel and gas and check performance and how the fuel filters handle it.

MiSasquatch

As of yet, I don't have a MV to burn anything in. However, we've been burning WVO in Cummins diesels and various farm tractors for over three years. We don't use the thicker shortening type but try to stay with the "conola oil" type veggie oil. Just for the reason that the "oil" flows better than the "shortening" type.
Filtering out the big pieces of fish, chicken or french frys with a cotton filter sock. With that we mix, depending on the projected weather temperatures, diesel for either a twenty/eighty or fifty/fifty percent ratio. Then using a electrical pump and filter heads, this is mixed and filtered down to five microns. NONE of this to be used below forty degrees! To hard to start the cummins in the mornings.
Hey, if your interested there was a "bio system" on Craigslist in Michigan last week. I haven't checked yet today to see if it's still there but you can. Good luck with that.

MiSasquatch

I just checked and searched Craigslist in Central MI, for "Biodiesel" and found it still there. Listed on March 5th, with pictures and a listed phone number of #231-335-9997, if you're interested in making your own fuel. The price didn't seem to bad. I'd be interested to know if any of you decide to get it and how it works out for you. layta

ICAT

Has anyone ever used methanol mix with WMO? My understanding is that methanol is cheaper than gas and it burns cooler.

RAYZER

I like to add 10% diesel to my filtered wmo (instead of gas),she seems to run better and less chance of exsplosion if theres a fuel leak.imo.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Shouldn't this thread be in the Alternate Fuels Forum, like all the other threads that cover this, some only a few months old(I doubt any new fuels or mixes have been invented in the last few months).

wdbtchr

Has anyone ever used methanol mix with WMO? My understanding is that methanol is cheaper than gas and it burns cooler.
It's awful hard for us ole guys to read black on green

I don't see anything new on this line, but those new to fryer oil remember the bottle of veggy oil leftover sitting in the refrigerator? That's what your fuel tank will look like when the temp drops below 40 degrees. That's parafin does wonders for your filters.2cents

KsM715

Shouldn't this thread be in the Alternate Fuels Forum, like all the other threads that cover this, some only a few months old(I doubt any new fuels or mixes have been invented in the last few months).

Don't you have the power to make such a move oh great one? :doghead:

Just having a little fun. Don't ban me:whistle::p