• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help with getting a Ferret wheel cylinder back in

smashcrashy

Let me start off by saying, if it is not painfully obvious, I am mechanically inept.

I have a Ferret whose wheel cylinder was frozen, I've taken it apart and got it cleaned up and now put back together.

I need to get the brake tappets / actuators spread open a bit to get the wheel cylinder back in.. any idea of a tool or technique to do this?

I added a pic of the tappet and the wheel cylinder fingers if that provides any clairty.

Attachments

dmetalmiki

There should be Adjusting cam/bolt/nuts on the backplated (behing the item ist picture?)to adjust the tappets down. for fitting and up after fitting.
OR compress the pistons into the wheel cylinders. All else = they should go back without adjusting ( down) then. DON'T forget to loosen the bleeder nipple first!.

Last edited:

smashcrashy

There are adjusters for the drum on the other side of the hub but behind thebackplate the only thing there are the two bolts holding onthe tappet housing. I tried setting the adjusters all the way out but the tappets didnt budge. Im thinking they are "sticky" and would like to get them pressed out as far as possible (it's about a 2" by 2" opening between the tappets) so I could clean them off.

Is there any tool that would fit in such a small space but would have enough force to force the tappets open. I searched for spreader tools and the like and didn't find anything. Hydraulic spreaders look too beefy for the spot unless somebody knows of a small one.