• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help with greens (cucv)

sowchinook1

Hey all,

I'm new here and have a paint question:

I have an 87 m1028 cucv painted in the three color camo and I want to paint it all green or possibly desert tan. I've researched all the paint topics in the forum but didn't really find a conclusive answer. I've attached pics of some cucvs I found on Govliq. and I was hoping someone could tell me what color green these greens are. I thought maybe 383 but they all look different. Also where can I buy the paint? I don't want spray cans. Does it have to be CARC or can I buy it locally? The same applies to the desert tan, couldn't locate a pic.

Thx

Attachments

Michael

I like the first one with the black racing stripes the best. No, just kidding. 383 CARC is what it should be. The middle one looks the closest to me on my monitor. It is hard to tell from GL pictures. There are a lot of variables such as fading of the paint, color balance of the camera, time of day etc. Plus, whoever painted it last probably just used what they had on hand.

sowchinook1

Thanks for the info. I'd like to know what the tan paint is called that was used on the cucvs in the desert, and would it be available at rapcoparts also? If not, is there something at the local paint store that's close in color? Haven't decided if I like the green or tan better.

Thanks

101coolcars

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I buy CARC from a sherman williams industial coatings supplier. I have sprayed type 1 and Type 2, one is regular and one is water based, both seem a bit "chalky" to me, rapcos 383 substitute is cheaper and "looks" better to me. hard to find two trucks that look the same due to enviromental conditions. some people thin the paint with mineral spirits, some with Xylene, make the paint appear a bit different. Bottom line, do a spray out sample, then shoot everyting the same way. Hope that helps some:-D

Pawnshop

The tan is "383 tan" and available from RAPCO. I used their 383 green thinned 2/1 with Xylene in a $20 Harbor Freight gun and I think it came out pretty good, also my first vehicle to paint.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks