• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help with H1 purchase

DicedDeuceMan

The Hummer Network Forums :: Index

everything you ever wanted to know plus more =)

Stay away form the 6.2 for the civi model. I would recommended the 6.5TD. You have lots of options and plenty of nice truck in that price range: buyers market right now. Also shay away from the older trucks that do not have updated AC units-or you will be spending lots of cash for the upgrades in the near future.
Accually not to pick a fight. but the civilian H1 with turbos had a bad problem with heat buildup, pass side heads prone to crack. 6.2's are dogs. but only rocker arm, and one I forget are a issue.. But so much more easy to work on. I know alot of people more happy with the "lame" 6.2 after they had the 6.5 problem. 6.5's also are notorious for fuel pump problems. Run water in em, or run them out and gues what fails next... A civil H1 just sold in MD for 38K it had 38k miles. loaded .. ctis, extra seats, roof rack. It road so nice. It made me allmost pull my add on My H1 thats for sale. If your getting old like me, a civil would be better for you, they are plush ridding , or I got one with way too much spring in it.. ouch...

DicedDeuceMan

Good luck with your purchase, I did try and find the original avatar, but must be on previous computer. Hooters Bikini fundraiser.

Last edited:
When I first started to decide on purchasing a HMMWV, I first looked into the H1 models and found some under 30K. So there are some available, but if you’re looking at wanting a functional A/C unit, you will run into problems because I have read that the first generations have A/C issues with the condensers units. When searching stay away from the Alpha models $$$$$$$$ just a simple H1 you can run across some good deals. Sense you have some wrench experience there should be no major issue but as mentioned before PM.

I went ahead and bought an 86 HMMWV instead of a H1 and decided to install a 24v civilian reddot A/C unit in mine in place of the radio area. I serviced 20 yrs in the Army so no one can tell me it isn’t an official military spec unit or etc etc…. serviced in the desert three times the standard was “what every works”. Most people who admire a military vehicle don’t really realize if the A/C is military issue or a radio, they are just excited to sit in one. I drive mine to work about two weeks a month and play often in the dirt, looks good, cools, and is functional not just a show piece.

ncdeerejeep

There was a HMMWV at Ft. Bragg DRMO a few weeks ago............Don't know if they are going to sell it. And if they did not sure that any part on it could be used. Parachute didn't open during a air drop and the vehicle is almost flat.

farmall

Almost everything you want to know about an H1 can be seen at HUMVEE.NET. Check out the knowledge base feature.

david1092

I have 3 hummers . One a 92 and a 98 (as well as some military trucks) and an H2.

The 6.2 is a far more reliable truck than the turbo's and for the most part the 6.2 is a HMMWV with nicer seats and interior.

The passenger heating and cooling on the 6.2 is not very good

The 6.5 trucks, with and without the turbo are far more complex electrically and this is where most of the problems will occur.

The big advantage with the 6.5 trucks is that they have the 4l80- transmission whereas the 6.2 have the original 3L80 3 speed hmmwv transmission. Any faster than 55-60, you are killing the engine.

The turbo trucks have a lot more torque and feel almost like a sports car compared to the 6.2.

The 6.2 trucks have a lot more room inside due to the smaller engine cover (the dog house).

There are some notable differences between the 92/93 Hummer and the HMMWV:
The Hummer has a very different transfer case that is lighter duty for towing but is capable of higher sustained speeds~ this owing to a very differnt planetary gear.
The older HMMWV's had a drive shaft brake, whereas the newer HMMWV's and the hummer have a special rear caliper set - which always corrodes and gets stuck. I think I would prefer the drive shaft type.

The 3 speed HMMWV transmission has no park position - ths owing to the park holding requirement on the HMMWV - The park pawl on the 3L80 transmission cannot hold the weight - they therefore eliminated the park position. All hummers have the park position

The HMMWV's are 24 volt, the Hummers are 12 Volt. There are pro's and cons for 24v. Cold start with 24V is easier but getting a boost to start with 24V is not so easy unless you have another MV around.

If I had to buy one truck I would go for the hummer. If you want comfort get a turbo hummer as they have better sound insulation, heating and cooling. The best year was 97.5 or 98, after which the trucks came with ABS, which further complicated the whole system.

As far as the H2 goes. I have yet to see a situation where the H2 has not performed as well as the H1. Mine has been through rivers - water half way up the doors (which is near the top of the hood on the H1), been in deep mud, sand, snow and up and down very steep gravel hills, all along side H1's.

There are some weak spots on the H2 but all in all, it is not a bad truck. Also despite what many say, the H2 is not built on a yukon or tahoe chassis, rather it is a special build chassis (wider and heavier) that uses SOME yukon drive components. Even the differentials are H2 specific. The Yukon parts are transmission, brakes and from I can see the hubs - thats it.

The H3 is a different story as it is a regular GM truck but with some upgraded components.

And finally, for offroad comfort the hummer (h1 or h2) is second only to the Stalwart (which has a very smooth ride - even at its top speed - a whopping 43 MPH - if you can get it going that fast off road)

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You will have no problem finding a nice H1 for the money you have in your budget. I own a 98 Turbo Diesel, Have for 10yrs. I Owned a 95 with 6.5 NA motor..Non-Turbo. I own 2 HMMWV's as well...Owned many others.
I work on H1's weekly for friends and they do require alot of up keep....I cannot stress this enough. First figure out what you will use it for....Lots of offroading I say get a Soft top, they are lighter, If you are going to do alot of freeway and some limited offroad, get the Wagon, Thats what I have, More room and better security. As far as what year to Purchase? ....Hmmmm
I am a bit partial to 98's, All the best Mods were in the 98 model year, It was also the last year before they used TT4 because they needed to have anti-lock brakes, The 98 and Below use BTM "Brake Throttle Modulation" to lock the Hub when wheelin off road. I would say stay away from 99-2000 becasue of this, AMG fixed the issues with TT4 I think in 2001...could be wrong though.
So, I would say 96-98 and 2001-2004, none were made in 2005 and 2006 was last year and has Duramax w/Allison 6spd combo.

May I suggest Humvee.net for the H1 topic.......

I know that some time ago there was a Thread on Humvee.net "What is the Best year for the H1" ...The 98 won the vote. That was before the 2006 came out.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks