• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help with Headlights "safety"

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If just one lever broke off the 3 lever switch, Did just the casting on the lever break? If so, it can be unscrewed and replaced. If you need a quick fix, take the 3rd one off the left for the panel/gauge lights. If the handle broke off with the screw and the plastic behind it, you will likely need a replacement 3 lever switch. 4 screws, and a couple on the levers and it will come out easily. The 3 lever switches are pretty common and almost universal to all mv's.

I recently upgraded to an electric led push button one and love it. It is so much better than the old clunky 3 lever and back lite for easy nighttime viewing.

Download and read the tm's as they will give you a world of info.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you lift the unlock lever at the same time?

Have you read how to use the switch in the TM?

bowoods

Thanks for taking the time to respond. A friend of mine, uncertain how to use the release lever (3) just twisted it off until it broke the pin/screw. The screw cracked on lever 3, yes! I see what you're talking about and I will also check the TM for more info.
Thanks again!

bowoods

The unlock lever was the one that broke off. A friend didn't understand how it worked and twisted it so hard that the inside pin/screw snapped. Thanks for responding to this thread!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a real original (200 miles & 813 hours) '84 M-923 and when I was turning on the Headlights I snapped the safety toggle and it fell off in my hand. Do you know how i can replace/repair that? Bojock@msn.com

View attachment 409757
The unlock lever was the one that broke off. A friend didn't understand how it worked and twisted it so hard that the inside pin/screw snapped. Thanks for responding to this thread!
Were you guys holding hands when he broke the lever off and it fell in your hand? LOL

If the shaft broke, you are going to need a new switch. Internal parts aren't that easy to find.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ah!

Your best bet is a new replacement or cheap used one.

There are a couple versions and some are more difficult than others to reassemble.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is twice (that I know of) in the last week were something was damaged because of not reading the TM first. I wonder why we emphasize reading the manuals.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Just find a cheap replacement switch-I've bought new ones as cheap as $25 on popular auction sites.

After doing a search- I can't find anywhere in the TM's that tells you NOT to let your friends operate the equipment.

:-D
hahaha, awesome.

eagle4g63

Mine broke and I did know how to use the dang thing.........it seems that some of them have plastic internals(as was the one that broke), my older truck has brass internals, so I am guessing it will hold up better.

Now on to the no money fix..........looks a little wrong without the 3rd lever but......you can open the switch and remove the safety set up from inside the switch and put it back together.......no longer needing to do the dang 2 handed turn it on thing, just reach over and move any light you want.........it is also easy to "flash" your headlights at someone if needed without all the fuss the safety gives you.

Of course you can also glue the 3rd lever back over the useless whole to give it the look....

KsM715

.......no longer needing to do the dang 2 handed turn it on thing,
QUOTE]

Bah, it can be done with one hand. Just takes practice.

Bowoods, PM me your address, I think I have an untested used one I'll send to you if you pay the shipping. (cant be more than 5-7 dollars) If it doesnt work at least you'll have 3 spare levers and screws.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks