• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help with M35A1 Frame and Engine ID #'s

Gizzard

Hi y’all, I’m new here. This site appears to be a valuable resource, thx for the approval.

I’m working on a restoration of a m38a1 and I expect I'll have a ton of questions thru out the build.

Need help with ID....All data plates and patent plates are missing.

Frame is stamped with the following numbers:

2411-21-002
**0-2A7556

First two digits of the second row are illegible due to a bubba weld. I can make out part of the numerals and they seem to indicate a C or 0 for first digit and L or E for the second digit.

Engine number is:

MD 85945

I searched thru the serial number data bases I had access to but quickly found I didn’t know what the heck I'm looking for.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Dane McGee
Greenville, Texas

chassi.jpg

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome. Help is here and also at the G503 website. The numbers stamped in the frame are Willys internal part numbers especially if the stampings are at an angle.
MD 85*** is your VIN or vehicle serial number which should also be on your title and would be on main data plate on the dash. BUT the military swapped engines all the time, so it's almost certain the numbers no longer match. If you don't have a title, use that number. My A1 is a '53 and the SN is 51130, your engine is likely from a '55.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was looking up those numbers in the ORD-9 and nothing came up in the "Group 15 FRAME AND BRACKETS" section. Then it occurred to me. The 2A7556 is the Army registration number! The depot must have stamped it there prior to a repaint. This number system came into use in 1960, but for some reason, sometimes older vehicles got renumbered. See attached pic for example, picture credit Sheila Jones / Kaiser Willys.

Attachments

Gizzard

I was looking up those numbers in the ORD-9 and nothing came up in the "Group 15 FRAME AND BRACKETS" section. Then it occurred to me. The 2A7556 is the Army registration number! The depot must have stamped it there prior to a repaint. This number system came into use in 1960, but for some reason, sometimes older vehicles got renumbered. See attached pic for example, picture credit Sheila Jones / Kaiser Willys.

Excellent!....Thx for the effort!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks