• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

help with manually wire GM CUCV Ignition switch

bassplayer88

Hello all , and first off thanks for just taking a look at my question ...I have a 1984 CUCV M1009. This seasoned vet spent its full tour of duty on a small NG camp, where it was driven by civilian contractors , but never on Sunday . A total of 55k .. Then one pre Katrina hurricane the powers above decided to push a big southern pine tree down on top of this defenseless old troop. Landing just past the drivers door , crossing the frail fiberglass . Blowing every window out and bending the body in a U shape, but it didn't bend its frame . Back ground info on the damage and M1009 usage was supplied by the NCOIC at the DRMO whom had personally road in it. Well you guessed it , The gov wrote it off as junk and heres where I enter the picture .

This M1009 is being completely transformed into a WVO powered Generator setup. Utuilitzing the power train and drive train as a PTO to turn generators . Since its no longer a motor vehicle, its being stripped down to its very basics . Since the steering column is being removed, and the original ignition switch is bad, I need to manually wire it.

I have down loaded several TM's and have been using the schematic's from TM 9-2320-289-34 figure :
E-1 Starting Circuits (All Except M1010)
E-3 Engine Compartment Ignition Circuits (All except M1010)
E-4 Cab Ignition Circuits ( All except M1010)

Well these really dont help ( It did for the Starter Relay ) do to the color codes dont match up ????? Here's what it have.

located directly under steering column going up into the ignition/steering wheel housing .

Blade location color
E Lt Brown
F Lt Green
G Black
H Lt Blue
J Dk Blue
K Brown
L Purple
M Yellow
N Dk Green
P white

Any help with manually wiring for "run" and using a push start switch to engage the starter would be greatly appreciated .
Thanks again

mangus580

Well.... Its pretty simple. for "Run" there is a Large Pink wire on the injection pump. And to engage the starter, just use the small terminal on the solenoid (this one will be 24v as well as the actual starter)

That is the real simple way, and it will bypass any glow plug or high idle circuit...

I can probably look at the schematics and try and get a little more in depth if you want the rest of that stuff...

bassplayer88

Hey mangus580,

Thanks for the reply ... I get the starter part, and do have a remote bump starter switch. I guess I was trying to configure it to start as if if you were using a key , just with out lock and acc. Idea is , flip a toggle switch to on , GP come on " Wait Light" on , Gen 1 Gen 2 and volts meter, then push button to engage the starter. Flip toggle switch off to kill engine . I do have the instructions for manually switch on the GP. What effect is to the engine if the High Idle Curcuit is defeated . Thanks

mangus580

Not much effect really, it will just run rougher when cold. Where are you located? (can you add it to your profile like specified in the FAQ's on the left please?)

I will try to look at the schematics tomorrow and see what I can do to help you out. I will doctor one up and post it (or PM it) to you, so you have something to work with. Will you be keeping hte 24v setup?

bassplayer88

North Georgia ... I'll update my profile right now .. I was keeping it 24v ... The concept is to keep the operational part origanal (for cost).. mods will be made to the engine oil amount/cooling/filtering , as well as the trany, differentials and engine coolant. axels will be free mounted from the frame.
Thanks

Armada

Welcome. Did you get the truck from GL? They had one listed a while ago that looked like a tree had fallen dead center on it. Too bad, it looked like a clean truck.

bassplayer88

Yep thats the one 55k :) . same thing big tree right across the middle .. It has only 13k miles.... The one I purchased is over all mechanically good condition. I'll be looking for another drivable later . I would recommend anyone using the M1009 as a off road play toy to add a roll bar ..

Last edited by a moderator:

bassplayer88

After more investigation , I found the actual ignition switch closer to the bottom of the steering column . But my problem appears to be more than just a engaging the starter from the slide switch . After looking closer to the wiring , someone has removed several wires from the glow plug resistors and who knows what else. I previosly found the connector to the starter relay had been cut off. No big deal on that one, following the schematics was easy to rewire. With x2 new 800CCA batteries the volt meter still only goes barely into the yellow. So I've decided to rewire to the very basic and convert to a 12v system using the x2 generator and 3rd battery to power the hardware needed for the WVO part . So If I wanted the very basic wiring will this work : *** referencing 12v conversion instructions and maual Glow Plug instructions
1) new 12v starter with jump switch across solanoid and starter to bump start the starter .
2) 12v + from battery to IP , with switch to open/close curcuit for startup and shut down .
3) new Glow Plugs 12v fast heat , manual switch from 12v + , by pass the controller and resistors ..

As for Pics, I'll try to find the originals I have from GL that shows the tree damage. I wouldn't want to show anyone in this forum what it looks like now, after modification by sawzall .. You 'd be surprised how easy a good metal blade and a sawzall will cut thru all the body panals and supports ..

spicergear

I put a CUCV 6.2L in my other M715. Wiring is easy. Glow plugs go from a bunch of green wired into two heavy orange ones. I hooked them to a post on a Ford style starter solenoid then to a toggle with a light on the dash. Flip switch, lights on, solenoid snaps, plugs heat up for as long as YOU would like them. Easy.

Pink wire is your fuel shut off. Put to keyed ignition or 12V source on switch. Easy.

Starter- that's gravy too.

bassplayer88

Spicegear ,

looking at a Ford starter solenoid , are you going from a 12v supply to the switch them to the solenoid post #1 then Post #2 where glow plugs are connected ?

pbrstreetgang

So if i were to run a wire splice from the glow plug controller card to a push button, then put an interrupter switch on the ignition switch hot wire, and then a momentary push button wired to engage the starter, this would be done.

i could get in, flip on the power switch, hold in button for glow plugs, and then push button to engage starter.
to shut off truck, just flip off the power switch.

otherwise i could wire an interrupter switch to the pink wire on the fuel shut off as a kill switch?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks