• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help with side mirrors…

DaneGer21

Since I bought my truck mirrors have allows been on my mind because of what was tossed in the bed when I got it. Well today I finally got to digging them out of the bed. I have taken some pictures. Currently my truck only has a drivers side “small” mirror and nothing on the passenger side.

What I pulled out of the bed are a totally different style. Will these work for my truck? Or what’s the cheapest route for complete mirror assembly’s?

Now that my trucks on the road I need to get mirrors squared away. Can I make these work? Or go a different route? What’s your opinion on side mirrors?

Would like to get some picked out before body work begins so they’re included.

Thanks!

Attachments

cbrTodd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The ones you found in the bed look like deuce mirrors to me. I could only find a shot of the driver side. Ignore the wire, that is for my lighted mirrors. The passenger side is curved to go around the exhaust but it mounts the same way. Both use the door hinge pin bolts to hold them on, so if those are rusted in place they can be a pain to reinstall.
Screenshot_20220227-213126_Gallery.jpg

DaneGer21

The ones you found in the bed look like deuce mirrors to me. I could only find a shot of the driver side. Ignore the wire, that is for my lighted mirrors. The passenger side is curved to go around the exhaust but it mounts the same way. Both use the door hinge pin bolts to hold them on, so if those are rusted in place they can be a pain to reinstall.
View attachment 860278
I don’t have this mount on my truck, circled below… there is one attached to the passenger side mirror I found. But nothing attached on the driver side mirror.

So that type apparently have never been mounted on mine???

Attachments

cbrTodd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don’t have this mount on my truck, circled below… there is one attached to the passenger side mirror I found. But nothing attached on the driver side mirror.

So that type apparently have never been mounted on mine???
Looks like they came from another truck now that you point out the missing bracket. I looked in the TM9-2320-209-20P manual and it doesn't have my style of mirrors in it, so I can't find a part number for that bracket. It would be pretty easy to make them though. It does show the style you have one of and it appears that the driver's mirror you have might have its brackets upside down though.

In the picture below with the tape extended, the distance is to the front of the windshield frame. The bracket itself is secured to the cowl with bolts from the outside and nuts on the inside, no special fasteners.
20220227_214806.jpg20220227_215321.jpg20220227_215328.jpg20220227_215351.jpg

DaneGer21

View attachment 860278
Looks like they came from another truck now that you point out the missing bracket. I looked in the TM9-2320-209-20P manual and it doesn't have my style of mirrors in it, so I can't find a part number for that bracket. It would be pretty easy to make them though. It does show the style you have one of and it appears that the driver's mirror you have might have its brackets upside down though.

In the picture below with the tape extended, the distance is to the front of the windshield frame. The bracket itself is secured to the cowl with bolts from the outside and nuts on the inside, no special fasteners.
View attachment 860286View attachment 860287View attachment 860288View attachment 860289
Thanks, I can make one at work tomorrow!

I take it that same bracket on the passenger side is the same, if so I’ll copy that.

I also assume the passenger side mounts to roughly the same location on the cowl as the driver side?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don’t have this mount on my truck, circled below…
This shows the whole assembly (AKA "west-coast mirror")....
Note part #2, which goes on the inside of the cowl.
1646017594280.png
That one missing angle bracket shouldn't be too difficult for you to replicate. Same goes for cutting/drilling two pieces of 1/8"x1" flat stock.

This picture shows where that bracket goes, exactly... (same for both sides). Part #2 and 2 nuts can be installed after opening the vent.
Bracket, location.JPG

I also assume the passenger side mounts to roughly the same location on the cowl as the driver side?
Correct.

DaneGer21

View attachment 860290
That one missing angle bracket shouldn't be too difficult for you to replicate. Same goes for cutting/drilling two pieces of 1/8"x1" flat stock.

This picture shows where that bracket goes, exactly... (same for both sides). Part #2 and 2 nuts can be installed after opening the vent.
View attachment 860291

Correct.
Thanks! Piece of cake now that I can “see” it.

cbrTodd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 860290

View attachment 860291

Correct.
Looking at gringeltaube's truck vs. mine, it looks like the Army got a bit sloppy when putting my mirrors on. There are no reinforcing brackets on the inside of the cowl and the holes definitely aren't level like his. Oh well, as you can tell by the CARC on the bolt heads, it has held the mirrors for many years just fine like it is.

Are the 'west coast' mirrors in the -20 but not the -20P? Or do I need to find an older or newer set of manuals than the ones I have?

DaneGer21

View attachment 860290

View attachment 860291

Correct.
Forgot to post these. Nothing major, but here’s what I made the other day. It’s not shaped 100% the EXACT same, but placement of all holes are the correct spacing, but the shape is pretty close by hand.

If they were made for a customer I would have spent another hour or so making them identical. Such a small part, it’ll do for me.

Since I only had one original, I made two. I’ll just use both of mine and hold onto the original…

Attachments

DaneGer21

So, what’s everyone’s opinions on which mirrors to run? Obviously my truck did NOT come with the west coast style, but, were included when I bought it.

Do I keep the original single mirrors? Or swap out to the West Coast style?

Just looking for opinions before I punch holes in my truck for mounting.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Before I switched over to these, I only had the early style mirrors (one- and two arms), which came on the early gassers.
There is no comparison, really: 1st, the west coast mirrors give you a much better angle since they stick out further. And 2nd and most important: they don't vibrate!
I would never go back - unless the truck had to be all original (like for display in a museum)...

DaneGer21

Before I switched over to these, I only had the early style mirrors (one- and two arms), which came on the early gassers.
There is no comparison, really: 1st, the west coast mirrors give you a much better angle since they stick out further. And 2nd and most important: they don't vibrate!
I would never go back - unless the truck had to be all original (like for display in a museum)...
Thank you for sharing your experience. That’s the info and opinion I was hoping to get, and totally makes sense.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My only consideration would be whether you do a lot of tight forest trails. Then the older elephant ear mirrors are easy to fold in. The West Coast not so much and you whack the crappola out of them. Otherwise, West Coast wins for all the mentioned reasons.

Sent from my SM-G991W using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks