• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help with star head bolt

sed6

Help with star head bolt *got it*

I'm trying to remove my IP before the rains come in tonight. One of the four bolts had this odd star shape head. How do I remove it? My 7/16 socket will fit but there's no room for a ratchet or any other driver. I doubt that even the right tool for the job. Never run into this type of fastener before so your help is appreciated!

Attachments

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wait until you pull the valve covers off, those Cummins engines are full of those type bolts.

Any 12 point will work, either a box end wrench or a socket.

sed6

Thanks all! I ended up cutting and grinding down a 3/8" drill adapter. Left 1/4" sticking out the socket and used my open end 3/8" wrench to crack it loose. My 12pt closed end was too long and I didn't want to cut another in half and make a stubby. But I might still.

Attachments

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
People are always giving me cheap tools for Christmas and whatnot. All my cheap tools go in a box and I use them all the time to make "custom" wrenches when needed.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is another Snappy that works well too, I forget the #.