• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

help with starting

barrettb

ok i got the hood open. and i put the charger on the batteries and charged both of them but when i try to start it i just get that clicking noise when u u have low batteries but both batteries were replaced this summer along with the that starter. so do any of you know what it might be?

jeli

I'm confused. Is the starter turning over but it isn't engaging with the engine to start the engine? If so the solenoid is bad or something is worn or sticking to keep it from engaging. Try hitting the starter with a hammer to loosen things up. Not too hard and right on the main case. If that doesn't work drop the starter. Depending on you level of mechanical skill you can disassemble the solenoid and maybe get it to work. On the top under the plastic is a metal disc. Probably a copper or copper coated disc. It will be pitted. If the opposite side is copper coated flip it and reassemble. Otherwise you have file the rough edges down so it makes good contact. You can also get a new solenoid. If you know how to jump a solenoid I test by hooking jumper cables to the starter out of the truck and jump the solenoid to make sure it all works. If you do put a foot on it or it will roll when you power it.

Another thing to look at is the nose cone and bearing/bushing. I've had 6.2 starters take out the bearing and a big block break the nose cone.

barrettb

the starter will only engage when the batteries are almost dead. but by then it barley has enough power to turn the engine over. i have tried hitting the starter that didnt help much. what else could it be?

barrettb

the starter will only engage when the batteries are almost dead. but by then it barley has enough power to turn the engine over. i have tried hitting the starter that didnt help much. what else could it be?

barrettb

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The sequence should be:
1. apply power to the solenoid
2. solenoid engages, shoving the gears into place and making the big connection to the starter motor itself
3. starter motor turns engine

you can try this:
attach an analog voltmeter to the high amperage connection between the solenoid and the starter motor. when you 'crank' the engiune, what voltage is present? In a 12V system, should be 8-10V, twice that if it is a 24V system.

maybe try this to test the items of the starter separately:

1. disconnect the high-amp link between the starter solenoid and the starter motor.
2. energize the solenoid either by the starting switch or by applying power to the solenoid.
3. Does the solenoid 'clunk' and engage or try to engage?

4. next, test the starter motor.
5. attach a high amperage cable to the starter motor hot terminal. Maybe you can use a cheap jumper cable.
6. connect this very briefly to power. (do not do this for more than 1/2 second or so, or you can overspeed the motor)
7. Does the motor spin?

ida34

One more step to your list. The first thing that triggers is the 28 volt relay under the dash This then triggers the solenoid with starts the motor and the armature moving. Armature then cases the motor gears to engage the engine gears. Not sure if this is effecting your situation but keep it in mind When you check things out. Maybe the relay is somehow messing the stuff up. I am not sure what you do with the relay when the system is converted to 12 volts but if the starter solenoid is getting 28 volts from to the start term when it needs 14 this may cause weird things to happen. Check the start terminal voltage when you try starting. I have a feeling someone messed up the 12 volt conversion causing your problems. Then it only engages when the voltage gets nearer to the 14 volts it needs. I hope this makes sense. Are your batteries still in series or have they been converted to parallel. You can check the voltage at the large terminal strip on the firewall. If it says 28 volts then they are still in series and my assumption above may be the problem. If it shows 14 volts then they have been converted to parallel and all this advice is null and void.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks