• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help with wheel back spacing please, m1009

iacucv

Hey guys, I've never been good with wheel back spacing measurements, hoping to get some help. Did a search but nothing that really answered my question. Someday fairly soon I will be lifting my 1009 about 2" and I plan to run 33x12.50s. At the same time I would like to widen the stance some. Wheel spacers appear to be a bad choice for CUCVs. 12.50s on stock wheels is probably not the best set up anyway.

So my question, what is stock back spacing, what back spacing would put the tire out 1-2", and would that prevent any fender trimming? Thanks in advance guys!

richingalveston

Many people here run that size tire on stock set up with only a little rub. There might be a slight rub on the frame rails and full turn and on the inner fender under full stuff. with 2 inch lift you should not have any problems.

The stock wheel will work fine for your application.

Ilikemtb999

I ran that size on stock wheels without issue. I also have a 2" lift. The lift is unnecessary for the size tire but my suspension was in poor shape and stock replacement suspension is hard to come by from a quality company.

As far as spacers go, I wouldn't. A 12.5" tire will widen your look.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Moving the tires out via wider rims, less backspacing or spacers will create more chances of tires rubbing. Stock rims are at a premium right now, I would suggest hanging on to them if it can fit your plans.

iacucv

Hey guys, sorry I haven't checked in been a busy week. Mtb999 thanks for the pics to give me an idea. I still think I'd like them out a touch more. I will hold on to the stock wheels but plan on buying aftermarket rims if I go that route. I will likely go with 16" wheels as well if I go aftermarket, thank you rsh4364.

Recovery4x4, have you had experience with 1009s and more back spacing? I'd love to hear first hand results of the combinations anyone has used.

Does anyone know the back spacing of the stock wheels so I can do some research and math? Funny.... Never wanted to do that in school but for our trucks.... Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it.

Ilikemtb999

I'm drawing a blank but I'm fairly certain they're 4" backspacing. 8" width and fairly certain it's smack dab in the middle. I measured them a while back trying to figure out the backspacing I'd need to get the wheels close to stock width up front. I ended up with 4.5" backspacing with the new axles.

iacucv

Mtb999 - nice rig. That is pretty much what I had in my head. How did the extra back spacing do with tire rub? I see you had to some some moderate cutting of the front fenders.