• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HELP!!

therbert

I went in my new truck today to pick up firewood and made it there OK. Let me add that the trip was uphill all the way to 4000 ft. When I was on my way back, I couldn't make one of the corners and tried to backup. When I put in reverse it felt funny. Then I tried to backup and couldn't. Didn't Move. Can't get it out of gear now.

Any Ideas?? Wha do I do to get it out of gear?

Thanks

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You might need to take the top cover off of the transmission. Sounds like you have sticky shift rails or a fork issue. Some times a manual trans can get stuck in gear or in 2 gears. You might be able to pull it just a nudge and get it back into neutral also.
Don't panic yet!
Btw, do you have an air shift transfer case?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've encountered this too. If you can sure up the truck and jack up one side of the rear, it will dislodge much easier. I've always been able to get them free this way.

therbert

Yes, It was engaged when I was on the way down. I was using it because of the steep grade. So if I get someone to pull me back some it may let it into neutral? Would being on a hill and going into reverse help to cause this? It ran so well for 12 hours when I drove it home. I guess that what happens when you get too confidence in your self.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, if you just rock/nudge it a bit and gently persuade the shifter at the same time it should pop out of gear(hopefully).First try it without pushing in the clutch, if that doesn't do it push it in and try again. No worries using the front drive anytime.

therbert

Thanks, It sucks because I may not be able to get to it for a week or so. We are going to get 1 ft of snow tonight and it will take a week for it to melt.

I will let you huys know when I get it un stuck.

Blood_of_Tyrants

I had this issue on an old Plymouth I had. This problem is almost always related to worn linkage or worn forks. What happens is the parts get so worn they don't shift one gear out before the other starts to shift in. Gotta get the load off the gears. If you can't get someone to pull you back a bit or jack up one side, chock the truck real good and then remove the drive shaft.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What's the matter with the winch? Got any trees around there? Run the line down inside the front bumper & back under the axels. Use the winch to pull it back & relieve the load. Having a winch allows some creative license. Jacking up the rear with a load on it can be a tall order - both axels. What's holding the truck now? Is it on a down grade? If its stuck in two gears (as above) with a down hill attitude, as soon as it comes out of gear, it will want to roll. Trying to jack it up, puts you in a vulnerable position - can be dangerous!. I have welded up the worn surface on shifting forks, then filed the down to original specs. It works! I keep thinking that there could be something with the clutch too, wear or adjustment wise, that it isn't fully dis-enguaging. You might not have noticed that in driving it, becaues you can shift them without the clutch. Even if you take the top off the tranny, you still have to relieve the load, especially if its in a down hill attitude.

Lee in Alaska

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lee, I don't think you could get the PTO for the winch to work with the trans "locked up".

therbert

Yes, it is down hill. Too be honest, I haven't tried the winch yet. I have read a few times that poeple have broken them very easily and so I havn't tried. Could you let me know the proper percedure for using the winch?

Don't mean to sound intimidated, just down't claim to know it all. Also don't want to break the winch.

Thanks

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, OK - I'm DE-Moted back to Private. Sure - you can't use the winch either! How silly I am. I was having dinner, thinking about the problem and started to choke up when I realized the "slight" problem using the winch. All together my oversight!

Tom - Guess the winch is a mute point just now. Best place to practice with it is at home - try it first there. Do some reading on it first.

Do you have trees? Something to dead man to. You don't have to lift the truck - just take the load off it. I have a 5 ton come-along that would probably do it, or something like it. Even a pick up winch, using trees, with several parts in your line. Use a snatch block to double or triple your pull. Or, tie it off, as tight as you can, to trees. That would make it safe to get under it, on the uphill side, to jack it up. Assuming you have a good enough surface to support a jack. Using two jacks would be best. Take a bunch of blocks. Be best if you could get it before it snows.

Good Luck. Sorry about my Oversight?

Lee in Alaska

therbert

I have no problem using it. I just thought the trunk had to be in neutral for it to work. If that is not the case, I have s tree that would work. I just am not sure how to turn it on.

Thanks

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tom
M16TY is right. The winch is not operable under these conditions. Tranny has to be in neutral & that is your problem - my oversight. You need to take the load off it, safely, so you can get it into neutral again. When you do, it will want o roll off the mountain & you don't want to be under it. That's why I suggest to tie it off to some trees, etc.

Lee in Alaska

therbert

Just to give you all and update. It worked. I had a buddy of mine pull it from behind and after a few tugs it came out of gear..

Thanks Again for all you help..