• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Helping during Harvey! (Now I need M925 starter)

3poffroad

Hey guys I was using my M925 for 2 weeks straight after Hurricane Harvey (I put over 100 hours on the poor girl! Everything was going just fine aside from some water in the diffs, but now all of a sudden the starter locked up. I moved it into its space last night and now this morning it just clunks, couple beats with a hammer and it'll spin about a quarter turn. We had water coming through the bottom of the doors about 3 times.

That being said, what is the best replacement starter? I am also doing all kinds of maintenance as I'm pretty sure I smoked a wheel bearing and both my front axle boots are torn to ****! :-|

Here's some pics! We even had the Lieutenant Governor Dan Patrick with us in my rig for 2 days!

Photo Aug 31, 6 26 24 PM.jpgPhoto Aug 29, 12 29 26 PM.jpgIMG_0489.jpgIMG_0468.jpg21106631_10154651782806836_5286722168550777442_n.jpgPhoto Sep 01, 12 28 42 AM.jpg

Attachments

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get a gear reduction starter whatever you get. I had one (gimpy) put on my M813 and it works like a dream. Low power requirements that allow you to dump two batteries.

You won't regret it and good job.

dmetalmiki

Well done you, Have a HUGE pat on the back and an equally (deserved) large thank you, (As) Your presence must have been greatly appreciated. Service your truck as per the T.M. on deep water fording.

Last edited:

AndyT

I had mine do the same thing... starter was fine. Took all the connections off and cleaned/tightened. After 6+feet of water for the same time period (same storm) my connections had corroded and loosened.

The windings probably grew some corrosion as well... I had to jump the leads to free it up. Runs just fine now.

74M35A2

As stated, first make sure the engine turns freely. A starter can be submerged and continue working ok, but the key point is it needs to be cycled a lot and warmed up for a long time to get the water out before it corrodes the steel parts. This is only a 2-3 day window tops to get it done. A shot of WD-40 to the internals can prevent needing to do this, but can be hard or impossible to do without removing it, so it generally doesn't happen.

Just put a breaker bar with socket on the crank pulley and give it a tug either direction. It is a lot of work to remove the injectors on these engines, and if it was running after the water driving and/or water never reached the air filter container, it probably never inhaled any.

If after your engine is confirmed free to rotate, and you do need a starter, you have a free one coming your way. PM me the ship to address. I would be sending you the same one swbradley1 and a few others here are using. It is very giving of you to take on damage to your belongings for the benefit of others.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
As stated, first make sure the engine turns freely. A starter can be submerged and continue working ok, but the key point is it needs to be cycled a lot and warmed up for a long time to get the water out before it corrodes the steel parts. This is only a 2-3 day window tops to get it done. A shot of WD-40 to the internals can prevent needing to do this, but can be hard or impossible to do without removing it, so it generally doesn't happen.

Just put a breaker bar with socket on the crank pulley and give it a tug either direction. It is a lot of work to remove the injectors on these engines, and if it was running after the water driving and/or water never reached the air filter container, it probably never inhaled any.

If after your engine is confirmed free to rotate, and you do need a starter, you have a free one coming your way. PM me the ship to address. I would be sending you the same one swbradley1 and a few others here are using. It is very giving of you to take on damage to your belongings for the benefit of others.

You're both good troops!! Thank you for being good Americans.

Attachments

3poffroad

Thanks guys I just left the shop and turned the motor over by hand with a breaker bar so it's not locked up. Thank you for the kind words and your selfless donation 74M35A2, it means a lot good sir.

And WV New Guy thank you as well! We tried keeping our social media going as our original post was shared 7K times and led to us getting a group of over 200 boats and 500 volunteers that were dispatched from us to help people!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks