• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

hemat trailer

demonhunter77

a deuce is too small? i never thought i would hear that one..lol..just how big are these things? the ones on GL look wimpy. oh well. chalk it up to my inexperience..lol..it must really show that i am just getting into this stuff.

The problem with pulling a HEMAT trailer with a deuce is that it weighs almost as much as a deuce. And when fully loaded, it weighs almost 3 times as much as a deuce. Also as it puts no weight on the deuce suspension, it will push the deuce around. A empty HEMAT trailer is actually slightly over the Deuces highway towing capacity, and its almost twice its offroad towing capacity.

Bottom line is that it is a bad fit for the Deuce. Empty it could be safely towed with a 5ton but loaded to capacity it is to much for even a 5 ton.

emr

A deuce is just an over sized pick up truck, Not meant to be a heavy hauler at all. Although an impressive vehicle and can be over loaded and take it, the brakes, and drive train would suffer greatly,And be very very dangerous with that load... the HEMAT ...aka...HEMTT stuff is of the 10 ton nature.

Stalwart

As you can see from my signature I have both a HEMTT and a M989A1 HEMAT trailer. They are huge, I have a 29' deck on my gooseneck trailer and it takes nearly the whole darn thing. My 15,000 lb Warn winch really works hard to pull it up the dovetail. I don't think I'd want to pull a loaded HEMAT behind my 39,000 lb HEMTT due to the lack of weight transfer, now if the truck had 20,000+ in the back, then I'd feel fine about it.

Diablo

There is one in the classifieds. A Deuce is WAY too little truck for a HEMAT.
Perhaps I'm just a blind moron, but I've been looking for this classified for the last hour and cannot find it! Can you PM me the URL? I'm planning on pulling it with my 5-ton, and all it will carry is my Jeep.

Stalwart

There is one up for auction on that site that allows just about anything but guns. $2500 OBO as I recall and it's in Tennessee. The one here on SS seems to be gone, he wanted $5900 . . . I think. How will you get a Jeep into a HEMAT? You aren't gonna like ramps over the back, it is REALLY quite tall!

Stalwart

I had those thoughts but although it would handle a LOT of water weight wise, the side doors are not structual components. Water more than a few inches deep would probably render them bent beyond easy repair. Saying that, I love the trailer, I plan on getting rid of the crappy wood floor (not tight grain oak) and replace it with some 5/4" ironwood (ipe) I have here in stock.

Stalwart

Oh, don't get me wrong, you could reinforce them to make them hold the weight of the water, they would just get VERY heavy and perhaps loose their ability to fold down in two sections. I'd think a one or two 3-4" c-channel along the entire side of the sides, in effect making it one continuous side would do the trick nicely.

If that works holding the pressure, I calculate the trailer itself would hold 2.88' feet of water weight wise, higher than the sides anyway. Go get it done!