• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HEMETT RIMS FOUND

majortom

I just found out who has all the hemett rims. He bought everything oshcosh truck would sell. He said that after these there will be no more. He wants 200 for the split rims, and 250 for the bolt together type. I have used both kinds on five tons with 1600r20 tires,no problems. The rims are the right offset,but are wider than the 1400 single rims. I have not tried to run 1400 tires on this rim, but i really think it will fit just fine. The rim is realy thick, so you should put longer studs on the front axle. I got mine, so heres his number. 920 231 1188

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why will there be no more? I reckon we will slowly start seeing them pop up surplus as the HEMTT gets older, right?

M1075

Hey Tom, aren't the offsets different between the two wheel types (split rims and bolt together)? Also, aren't these offsets also different that the 5 ton rims used to single out the M939 series?

majortom

Yes the offsets are slightly differant, and yes the offset is differant than the 900 single. The split rim with 1600 tire are just wider than the front fenders. I read that sonone had clearance issues, but i have tried both with no rubbing.

M1075

Okay, thanks for the tip. I have a few trucks to single out, but not sure if the HEMTT rims are the best way to go. I have a set to try.

majortom

Oshkosh truck is changing there system. in the future if they dont reuse the part, they will scrap it. I agree there will be rims, a few here and there, but these are real nice, and availabile now. Right now 1600 tires are around, cheap. A few years ago yellow bridge plates were everywhere, try to find a new one now.

sermis

I've had about 100 lock ring rims w/16.00's and about 50 of the bolt together rims in the past and no body really wanted any until now. Now my source is slow but there are more coming, just don't know when.
With all the trucks in use I can't see the rim supply drying up anytime soon.

M1075

There really shouldn't be any shortage of HEMTT lock rings, except I was told that they were all supposed to be destroyed due to safety concerns.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: HEMETT RIMS FOUND

M1075 said:
Okay, thanks for the tip. I have a few trucks to single out, but not sure if the HEMTT rims are the best way to go. I have a set to try.
Please let us know which is the best way...!

I'm planning to single out two M54 installing 14.00R20 tires or the smaller diam. but wider 15.5 XL G20s.
What are the dimensions for those HEMTT wheels? Width? Backspace?
Which tubeless 20x10" rims are the cheapest/most easily available at this time?

Tks
G.

M1075

RE: Re: RE: HEMETT RIMS FOUND

I think the best way to single a 5 ton is to use the M939 series rims. They are just harder to find right now.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guys.. Im sure there are TONS of them in the DOD warehouses.. They will be released one day, maybe tommorrow, maybe next year, who knows.... But they are out there, and will be out there.. I wouldnt get in a buying frenzy over them.. Just my thoughts...

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
any pics of the old style 3 piece split hemmt rim, i want to see if they are the same as what is on my xm977, if so ill need 2 sometime in the future

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the pics. Nice and heavy stuff!

It is clearly visible that the HEMTT wheels have less backspace compared to the 10 and 20 bolt 5ton wheels. That if they are the same width (10"?)
Also I suspect that the HEMTT wheels are not reversible? Although that wouldn't be a problem if the M54 rear hubs could be flipped to match the track width front/rear to run singles (M41?), same as for (M34) 2.5ton rear axles?

Gerhard

sermis

3 piece lock ring

Not 100% it has been a while but the HEMMT back spacing is somewhere around 7" and the 5 ton rims are around 10" to 11"

I know I posted it before but can't find right now.

5 ton rims are around 125# and HEMMT bolt togethers are around 150#

Attachments

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
thanks for the pics, that rim is not what my xm977 rims look like, as soon as there is a let up with the rain, ill get some pics

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks