• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HEMMT drivetrain

badassissimo

What kind of engine does the HEMMT use? Sounds like a 2 stroke diesel. I ask because I was looking at Detroit Diesels to put in the M1009 for when the engine goes. Thanks.

davidkroberts

its a detroit but im not sure what kind. it wouldnt fit in a M1009. Its huge.

go with a 6.5L GM diesel or gas. Or 4BT/6BT cummins. Even a detroit from a gama goat would be so large and heavy it wouldnt be worth all the trouble. its half the size of a hemmt engine.

Stalwart

I believe its a 8V92 or something close to that.
Yup and at about 4000 lbs. you'd better have some really heavy front suspension.

Are you thinking of putting one in a CUCV, don't forget the camera for driving because you won't be able to see over it from the drivers seat. ;)

Last edited:

badassissimo

Yup and at about 4000 lbs. you'd better have some really heavy front suspension.

Are you thinking of putting one in a CUCV, don't forget the camera for driving because you won't be able to see over it from the drivers seat. ;)
You guessed it! Nah, I have been changing this and that to make the m1009 look and sound like something to turn heads. 8v92 does sound big. I was looking at a youtube video of a 12v71 earlier. He had straight pipes and it sounded magnificent across all gears.

As far as the fit, I had thought to raise the hood and maybe the body. I guess the length is going to be a problem too? I wasn't sure if I could extend the frame and get it done that way. I imagine I'd either move the fenders or change them too.

Let me know if you have any suggestions. The obvious advice is NO! LOL I've been on a truck forum discussing the 4v53T on through the 8v92 and back to the 6TB cummins.

Just in case, what is the engine in the gamma goat? Thanks.

Ruppster

Member of questionable origins
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been changing this and that to make the m1009 look and sound like something to turn heads. 8v92 does sound big. I was looking at a youtube video of a 12v71 earlier. He had straight pipes and it sounded magnificent across all gears.
If you want a great sounding engine you want to go with a Cummins 903. They were used in the old 10 ton 6X6 military trucks. I hear they sound excellent with straight pipes. :D I have a Dodge with a Detroit Diesel 8V71 (smaller brother to the 8V92). It makes a lot of noise but not much power. I might change it over to a DD 6V92T.

what is the engine in the gamma goat?
It's an aluminum block 3-53 2 stroke Detroit Diesel.

BTW, do you know what the numbers mean when talking about the old 2 stroke DD's?

Ruppster

badassissimo

If you want a great sounding engine you want to go with a Cummins 903. They were used in the old 10 ton 6X6 military trucks. I hear they sound excellent with straight pipes. :D I have a Dodge with a Detroit Diesel 8V71 (smaller brother to the 8V92). It makes a lot of noise but not much power. I might change it over to a DD 6V92T.

It's an aluminum block 3-53 2 stroke Detroit Diesel.

BTW, do you know what the numbers mean when talking about the old 2 stroke DD's?

Ruppster
Admittedly, I don't know what the numbers mean. If I had to guess I'd say the first number is the cylinder count and the second is the engine size either by factory model or other size differentiation I'm not familiar with.

I imagine the 12v92 I mentioned earlier would be enormous as that would mean it has 12 cylinders. Saw a video with a peterbilt chassis. I'm not sure if that paints the picture.

badassissimo

Sorry, I guess I only wrote about the 12v92 on the chevy truck forum I check now and again. But, I'm sure the 8v92 is still too big for the M1009 and would require changing a lot around. I'm game if I can figure it out.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 8 indicates that it has 8 cylinders and the 92 indicates that it is 92 cubic inches per cylinder...so the motor is 736 cubic inches. As STALWART said, the motor is big. It puts out 450 HP.

davidkroberts

i saw a detroit 353 in a 65 chevy on the internet.... that was about as big as you could go....

you realize that even with a signifigant body lift and suspension upgrade you still will lack about two feet being able to close the hood. i wish you the best but i just dont see how it would be possible.

badassissimo

i saw a detroit 353 in a 65 chevy on the internet.... that was about as big as you could go....

you realize that even with a signifigant body lift and suspension upgrade you still will lack about two feet being able to close the hood. i wish you the best but i just dont see how it would be possible.
Yeah, I'll have to see if I can't find some the people have done it for the 6v71 and under. I might could find someone with an idea in mind of how to get it done for a 8v71 or even the 91 size. Never know what you'll find on the internet. From what I understand, there's a good chance that I won't get it done without just buying a rig. lol. High hopes though right?

Ruppster

Member of questionable origins
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry, I guess I only wrote about the 12v92 on the chevy truck forum I check now and again. But, I'm sure the 8v92 is still too big for the M1009 and would require changing a lot around. I'm game if I can figure it out.
The problem you're going to have is the width of the bottom part of the engine. You will have to do a lot of work in order to get that engine to fit between the frame rails on a Chevy pickup. As I mentioned I have a 8V71 in a Dodge and it's a large engine. The 8V92 is even larger.

As far as the meaning of the numbers as others have already mentioned the 8 means the number of cylinders while the 92 means the amount of cubic inches per cylinder. The symbol used between the two sets of numbers indicates if it's an inline engine or V type. A "-" means inline while a "V" means a V engine. DD used this method to make it easier for people to tell if the engines were from the same class as they shared a lot of common parts with each other within that class of engines. A 3-53 would have the same heads, bearings, and piston assemblies as a 6V53. The military uses a lot of DD's from the 53, 71, and 92 series of engines.

As far as a DD that would fit in an M1009 you might have to look for a 3-53, 4-53, or 3-71. Not sure if a 4-71 would fit. The problem is they make less power then the engine that is in the CUCV's already. The largest DD I have seen in a pickup was a 6V53 (videos of it are on Youtube).

Your best bet would be to go with a Cummins 4BT.

Ruppster

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Putting a large double breasted Driptroit into a regular pickup is possible but not very practical.

Your issue would not be just the size of the engine (about 4K pounds) but also the radiator (another 500 or so pounds) transmission (another 1000 or better) and your suspension and axles. You also would have to custom fab a frame and use air brakes which brings in more problems.

You would be better off putting the body on a cut down commerical frame with the Detriot in it.
Just because you can so something doesn't mean you should.

My 2cents for what it is worth.

Jones

Wreckerman's right on top of it.
With a CUCV bodied Deuce (or similar sized vehicle), you will instantly be transported past any of the suspension, powertrain, mounting problems associated with large heavy engine into small light vehicle swaps.
I'm assuming you'd actually like to drive this bad boy instead of just trailering it from car show to car show.

cleb

The Cummins 4BT is a nice swap. The issue is gearing. The 4BT turns fewer RPM's than a 6.2L. You can put a 700R4 behind it for overdrive, but I know one guy with a civy blazer with a 4BT that fried 3 700R4's. The 700R4 is weak, and unless built and cooled exceptionally well isn't going to hold up to the HP/TQ of the 4BT. I wonder if the allison out of a chevy w/duramax would fit? It would need a computer but I hear its a decent transmission. Or there is always a manual gearbox....

phil2968

How about this DD for your truck? 16v149 with 4 turbos! 2384 cubic inches! Basically 2 V8' bolted together. They are prime movers for 2 standby 4160 volt gen sets for the City of Tampa' 13th St. sewer pump station. You should hear this things at load, it's awesome.

It was really awesome when the electricians started one up with the leads from it not connected in the cabinet! It made lots of fireworks for several long seconds!

The first pic is with the genset removed for rebuild. These are 30 year old engines.
Sorry for the crappy pics, taken with cell phone.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks